Topic: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Replies: 30   Last Post: May 28, 2013 6:01 AM

Peter Percival

Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs

joshipura@gmail.com wrote:
> I am not a mathematician - but can understand prime numbers, and even the hypothesis under discussion.
>
> I wanted to tell to my children (who also know about prime numbers) about this development. Here is my script:
>
> "For years mathematicians are struggling to prove that they will always find larger and larger cases of p where p and p+2 both are primes.
>
> Someone recently proved that
> if p is a prime number, within p + 70,000,000 there is another prime number q, no matter how large p is.

There is a theorem that there is no upper limit on the number of
consecutive composites. Suppose you want at least n-1, (n >= 2)
consecutive composites, consider

n! + 2, n! + 3, n! + 4, ..., n! + n.

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant

Date Subject Author
5/16/13
Read First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Sam Wormley
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Wally W.
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/19/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Phil Carmody
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Tucsondrew@me.com
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
David C. Ullrich
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
[...]
Read even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Robin Chapman
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
byron
5/25/13