Topic: Extensional Logic
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: Extensional Logic

On May 22, 10:16 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is plausible to study extensions of n_th order predicates:
>
> A zero order predicate is an "object"
> A first order predicate is a predicate that only hold of objects.
> A second order predicate is a predicate that hold of zero or first
> order predicates.
> In general and n_th order predicate is a predicate that holds of 0 or
> 1st or ... or (n-1)_th order predicates.
>
> Now lets add a monadic symbol e to second order logic, and stipulate
> the following rule:
>
> if P is an n_th order predicate then eP is a term.
>
> eP is read as: "extension of P"
>
> And axiomatize the following:
>
> If P is an n_th order predicate and Q is an m_th order predicate then:
>
> eP=eQ iff (for all x. P(x) <-> Q(x))
>
> Of course one can define a general membership relation in the
> following manner:
>
> x E y iff Exist G. G(x) & eG=y
>
> However it is clear that E is not an n_th predicate, so eE is not a
> term! thus avoiding Russell's paradox!

No this is wrong, we can easily define a membership relation E*
obtained from E by restricting its arguments to objects, rendering it
a first order predicate! and clearly e(~E*) will be paradoxical.

To remedy that, predicates must be typed after formulas defining them
which in turn must use typed predicates only. This is recursive
definitional typing of predicates. I'll outline that in a separate
post.