Topic: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Replies: 30   Last Post: May 28, 2013 6:01 AM

joshipura@gmail.com

Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+5:30, quasi wrote:
> joshipura wrote:
>

> >I am not a mathematician - but can understand prime numbers,
>
> >and even the hypothesis under discussion.
>

> >I wanted to tell to my children (who also know about prime
>
> >numbers) about this development. Here is my script:
>

> >"For years mathematicians are struggling to prove that they
>
> >will always find larger and larger cases of p where p and p+2
>
> >both are primes.
>

> >Someone recently proved that if p is a prime number, within
>
> >p + 70,000,000 there is another prime number q, no matter
>
> >how large p is.
>

> No.
>

> Let d = 70,000,000.
>

> It's not true that for all primes p there is a prime q with
>
> p < q <= p + d.
>

> For example, let p be the largest prime less than (d + 1)! + 2
>
> and let q be the least prime greater than p. Then q > p + d, so
>
> there are no primes in the range p + 1 to p + d inclusive.
>

> What was proved is that there are infinitely many primes pairs
>
> p,q with p < q <= p + d.
>

> quasi

OK. So here goes changed script for review:
"For years mathematicians are struggling to prove that they will always find larger and larger cases of p where p and p+2 both are primes.

Someone recently proved that
**
there are as many prime numbers p and q less than 70,000,000 apart as you want
**

So, now mathematicians will work on finding what types of p's this 70 million is negotiable to smaller numbers, eventually going down to 2."

Date Subject Author
5/16/13
Read First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Sam Wormley
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Wally W.
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/19/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Phil Carmody
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Tucsondrew@me.com
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
David C. Ullrich
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Peter Percival
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/23/13
Read even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Robin Chapman
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
byron
5/25/13