Topic: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Replies: 30   Last Post: May 28, 2013 6:01 AM

Graham Cooper

Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs

On May 24, 2:21 pm, joship...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+5:30, quasi wrote:
> > joshipura wrote:
>
> > >I am not a mathematician - but can understand prime numbers,
>
> > >and even the hypothesis under discussion.
>
> > >I wanted to tell to my children (who also know about prime
>
> > >numbers) about this development. Here is my script:
>
> > >"For years mathematicians are struggling to prove that they
>
> > >will always find larger and larger cases of p where p and p+2
>
> > >both are primes.
>
> > >Someone recently proved that if p is a prime number, within
>
> > >p + 70,000,000 there is another prime number q, no matter
>
> > >how large p is.
>
> > No.
>
> > Let d = 70,000,000.
>
> > It's not true that for all primes p there is a prime q with
>
> > p < q <= p + d.
>
> > For example, let p be the largest prime less than (d + 1)! + 2
>
> > and let q be the least prime greater than p. Then q > p + d, so
>
> > there are no primes in the range p + 1 to p + d inclusive.
>
> > What was proved is that there are infinitely many primes pairs
>
> > p,q with p < q <= p + d.
>
> > quasi
>
> OK. So here goes changed script for review:
> "For years mathematicians are struggling to prove that they will always find larger and larger cases of p where p and p+2 both are primes.
>
> Someone recently proved that
> **
> there are as many prime numbers p and q less than 70,000,000 apart as you want
> **

a minor nit pic...

you're implying an algorithm exists such snd such...

which although true, it is not considered as being solved by
engineering standards

as O( |prime| ) = 10^|prime|

to actually find them incrementally (at will).

How many pairs < 70million apart have been found?

Herc
--
www.BLoCKPROLOG.com

Date Subject Author
5/16/13
Read First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Sam Wormley
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/16/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Wally W.
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/18/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/19/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Richard Tobin
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Phil Carmody
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Tucsondrew@me.com
5/17/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
David C. Ullrich
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
joshipura@gmail.com
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
quasi
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Graham Cooper
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Pubkeybreaker
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Peter Percival
5/23/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/23/13
Read even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/24/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: even numbers not the sum of TPs?
Robin Chapman
5/24/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
Robin Chapman
5/25/13
Read Re: First Proof That Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Come in Pairs
byron
5/25/13