Replies: 81   Last Post: Jun 4, 2013 5:59 AM

David Park

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

There are two subjects here, third party applications and collecting
useful routines that have appeared on the several groups.

It is difficult to collect and organize various routines that have
appeared on the groups. They may not be well enough developed and you
may not know where to put them so you can find them. Putting them in a
regular notebook may not be too great. Also, you could spend a lot of
time collecting routines, most of which you will never use. You might
have more important things to do.

Nevertheless, here is one suggestion for doing it. In
$UserBaseDirectory/Applications create a Toolbox folder. Then in this
folder create a set of packages for various classifications of routines,
say Graphics.m, Formatting.m, etc. The BeginPackage statement for
Graphics.m would look like:

BeginPackage["Toolbox`Graphics`"]

Then add routines you have collected. (I'm assuming you know how to put
routines into a package.) You will have to make certain you have
provided usage messages for them, and they better be pretty complete
because you are not going to have Function pages for more complete
information. You can load the package with:

<< Toolbox`Graphics`

You could find what routines are in the package by evaluating:

?Toolbox`Graphics`*

One method to add some documentation might be to create a
Toolbox/Graphics folder and add notebooks that gave examples for
specific routines you were most interested in.

So that is one framework.

The first thing to say about third party Applications is that developing
them is hard. They usually have to be in a well-defined area. You have
to get everything right because every misstep quickly sheds uses. I
don't know if we know how to get everything right! You need good
mathematics and a good interface and the same person is seldom good at
both. The Application should blend with regular Mathematica and use
regular Mathematica conventions and interface. Don't make your own
interface and do use regular Mathematica documentation. That's what
users know and you just can't ask them to learn a different system. Give
the user an initial positive experience by showing them some examples
that are simple enough that they can relate to, but interesting enough
so they will be pleased with the results, and most of all that WORK.
Users will forgive problems at the periphery, they can be fixed, but
they won't forgive very many obstacles on the first day.

David Park
djmpark@comcast.net

From: Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t [mailto:szhorvat@gmail.com]

On 2013-05-19 09:47:28 +0000, paulmchale7@gmail.com said:

> Another "missing item" is toolbox.wolfram.com. There are many
> functions people write that would be amazing useful to others but will
> never be shared. I have shared some potential toolbox entries here
> like a function that receives evenly spaced time/data pairs and
> returns FFT in terms of Hz. Handy to have laying around. I started a
> Toolbox.nb that I refer to often. It would be great to have an "open
> source" sharing mechanism to have the community support each other.
> Some of the things in my toolbox:
>
> 1. Cool graphing functions with very simple legends 2. Canned
> functions for unique file formats 3. Easier ways to measure time than
> Timing[] 4. Database access routines 5. Initialization stuff 6.
> Functions to communicate over Ethernet 7. Functions to talk to
> external COTS test equipment
>
> It would be cool to have a community place to store and share this
> stuff. Like a sourceforge model for Mathematica. Peer reviewed
> notebooks or external applications to extend Mathematica.
>
> Any chance of this?

There have been discussions about this among the users of http://mathematica.stackexchange.com

I agree that Mathematica does have a need for more communication between users, and especially sharing code. As Ingolf mentioned, there's library.wolfram.com, but I don't think most people will go looking there. It has too many irrelevant things and some seem to be completely unrelated and added by some automated program =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C2=A6 (see e.g.
this recent addition:
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Articles/8369/ ) Another problem is that it's not easy to update items from there quickly enough (sites like GitHub/BitBucket/GoogleCode are better but they're not Mathematica specific).

The best way to share your packages at the moment is probably to use them in answers to problems posted here or to mathematica.stackexchange.com

There's also this:
http://meta.mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/428/what-third-party-packages-do-you-use

But it's not really suitable for sharing code.

I learn about most such packages from mentions on Mathematica.SE (or possibly here).

http://mathematica-users.org/ is very nice as a concept but for some reason it hasn't been picked up by the community yet. Maybe that's because it has been slow/unaccessible a lot.

Date Subject Author
5/12/13
Read Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/13/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
psycho_dad
5/13/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
psycho_dad
5/14/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Nasser Abbasi
5/15/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/16/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/16/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Andrzej Kozlowski
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Murray Eisenberg
5/17/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/18/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Dr. Peter Klamser
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Murray Eisenberg
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
paulmchale7@gmail.com
5/19/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
paulmchale7@gmail.com
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
szhorvat@gmail.com
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/20/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Ingolf Dahl
5/20/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Annetts
5/22/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
mathgroup
5/23/13
Read expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
Richard Fateman
5/24/13
Read Re: expanding the use of symbolic computation in engineering .. was Re:
W. Craig Carter
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/23/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
mathgroup
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/25/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Alexei Boulbitch
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Alexei Boulbitch
6/4/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Bill Rowe
5/24/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Park
5/27/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Noqsi
5/28/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
5/31/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/1/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
6/4/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Andrzej Kozlowski
5/29/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
5/30/13
Read Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Noqsi
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Kevin J. McCann
5/31/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/1/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/1/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Andrzej Kozlowski
6/1/13
Read Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Daniel Lichtblau
6/2/13
Read Interval vs default, was Re: Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying
Richard Fateman
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
James Stein
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
waku
6/3/13
Read Re: Interval vs default, was Re: Mathematica numerics and... Re: Applying
Daniel Lichtblau
5/27/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
Noqsi
6/2/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
5/31/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
David Bailey
5/28/13
Read Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
fd
6/2/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Mark McClure
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Richard Fateman
6/3/13
Read Re: Applying Mathematica to practical problems
Joseph Gwinn
6/3/13
Read Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic
lshifr@gmail.com
6/3/13