Topic: Silly question on how to insert sections, subsections and etc. on a notebook
Replies: 9   Last Post: May 25, 2013 5:34 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Silly question on how to insert sections, subsections and etc. on a notebook

After change to Manual Grouping . . .

Select and cut the cell(s) to be "dangled" (at the end of the Section
but outside any Subsection), then paste them below the Section cell.

Next, close the Section group.

Now select the bracket of the closed Section cell along with the
now-separate cell(s) that you moved below the section.

From the Cell menu's Grouping item, select Group Cells/Group Together.

On May 23, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes <emammendes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks.
>
> Suppose I want to modify the structure of an already-written notebook. How to structure it as listed in my previous email? That is, part of it goes to a section that it is divided in subsection 1, subsection 2 and dangling cells. I want to select what set of cells go to subsection 1, subsection 2 and dangling section.
>
> Cheers
>
> Ed
>
> On May 23, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murray@math.umass.edu> wrote:
>

>> You could use the Cell menu item Grouping to change from the default Automatic Grouping to Manual Grouping.
>>
>> I often used to do that. My sad experience, though, is that sooner or later this will get you into some sort of trouble, and you'd be much better off structuring your notebook so as not to have any such "dangling" cells inside a section but outside any subsection.
>>
>> On May 23, 2013, at 4:10 AM, Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes <emammendes@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I wonder whether it would be possible to write a notebook with the following structure:
>>>
>>> Section 1
>>>
>>> Text and Mathematica commands
>>>
>>> subsection 1.1
>>>
>>> Text and Mathematica commands
>>>
>>> subsection 1.2
>>>
>>> Text and Mathematica commands
>>>
>>> Text and Mathematica commands (note that part is not inside subsection 1.2 but it is inside Section 1)
>>>
>>> Section 2

>>> I could not figure out how to have "Text and Mathematica commands" after subsection 1.2 but still inside Section 1.

>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
>> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
>> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
>> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
>> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
>> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

---