Topic: Can an indetectable thing physically exist? (in principle)
Replies: 11   Last Post: May 27, 2013 4:45 PM

David Bernier

Re: Can an indetectable thing physically exist? (in principle)

On 05/24/2013 04:29 PM, Sam Wormley wrote:
> On 5/24/13 12:32 PM, David Bernier wrote:
>> Suppose (for example) that wave function
>> collapse in the "standard"/standard interpretation
>> of Quantum Mechanics was governed by absolutely
>> indetectable things.
>>
>> An indetectable thing is one that's even more discreet
>> than neutrinos: it doesn't interact at all with the world.
>>
>> Does it make sense to postulate (as a thought experiment),
>> the physical existence of indetectable things?
>>
>> David Bernier
>>

> Wolfgang Pauli postulated around 1930 the existence of a neutrino
> to explain how beta decay could conserve energy, momentum, and
> angular momentum.
>
> Nothing had been detected and was to remain the case for several more
> years. Did the idea make sense? Well yes, but it could have been
> wrong. Later it turned out to be right.

On a related topic, one could ask whether fields
(electric, magnetic or gravitational) were
discovered, or rather invented ?

But I fear we might get lost in philosophy...

David Bernier

--
99997066781489109195113098994290469881614963208468