Topic: Notation
Replies: 14   Last Post: May 27, 2013 1:46 AM

William Elliot

Re: Notation

On Sat, 25 May 2013, fom wrote:

> On 5/24/2013 10:57 PM, William Elliot wrote:
> > V is the ZFC universe.
> > L is the constructible universe.
> > L_omega0 is the omega_0th level of the constructible universe.
> >
> > Correct or needing correcting?

> Your apparently simple question seems to have generated
> some interesting replies.

Seemingly off the mark because I'm asking about notation and not about
theory. When constructing the constructible universe we start with

L_0 = emptyset = 0
L_1 = { 0, {0} }. Let {0} = 1.
L_2 = { 0, 1, {1}, {0,1} }

L_(n+1) = L_n \/ P(L_n)
L_omega0 = \/_n L_n.

Is L_eta the correct notation for the constructible
universe to the eta-th level?