Replies: 16   Last Post: May 31, 2013 3:15 AM

Richard Fateman

Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

On 5/25/2013 2:34 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> Well, to disappoint everyone I have to confess that here, at Warsaw
> University, we are going to have a university wide course in
> Mathematica, open to all students of mathematics, natural sciences,
> economics and finance and even (oh horror!) computer science (in fact, I
> am not in the process of trying to "sell" this course to my the students
> in my analysis for computer science class).

Do you have courses that are not open to all students?

As has been pointed out in the past, Mathematica has numerous
disadvantages for use in computer science. For example, it
misconstrues common terms like List. Its algorithms are secret.
Its arithmetic is unique.

<snip>

> Of course, all of this is at this time only in its infancy. About a year
> from now I should be able to say something about the success or failure
> of this project.

Do you have some kind of plan in place to evaluate its success or failure?
Most "innovations" in education are not evaluated and are just
replaced by other "innovations."

I think it is unfortunate that you are spending resources
to pay for Mathematica licenses. I would hope that WRI would grant
licenses as its part in this experiment.