Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

namducnguyen

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On 26/05/2013 3:52 AM, Zuhair wrote:
> On May 26, 11:03 am, Nam Nguyen <namducngu...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> On 26/05/2013 12:52 AM, Zuhair wrote:
>>

>>> Frege wanted to reduce mathematics to Logic by extending predicates by
>>> objects in a general manner (i.e. every predicate has an object
>>> extending it).

>> [...]
>>

>>> Now the above process will recursively form typed formulas, and typed
>>> predicates.

>> Note your "process" and "recursively".

>>> As if we are playing MUSIC with formulas.
>>
>>> Now we stipulate the extensional formation rule:
>>
>>> If Pi is a typed predicate symbol then ePi is a term.
>>
>>> The idea behind extensions is to code formulas into objects and thus
>>> reduce the predicate hierarchy into an almost dichotomous one, that of
>>> objects and predicates holding of objects, thus enabling Rule 6.

>>> What makes matters enjoying is that the above is a purely logically
>>> motivated theory, I don't see any clear mathematical concepts involved
>>> here, we are simply forming formulas in a stepwise manner and even the
>>> extensional motivation is to ease handling of those formulas.
>>> A purely logical talk.

>> Not so. "Recursive process" is a non-logical concept.
>>
>> Certainly far from being "a purely logical talk".

> Recursion is applied in first order logic formation of formulas,

Such application isn't purely logical. Finiteness might be a purely
logical concept but recursion isn't: it requires a _non-logical_
concept (that of the natural numbers).

> and all agrees that first order logic is about logic,

That doesn't mean much and is an obscured way to differentiate between
what is of "purely logical" to what isn't.

> similarly here
> although recursion is used yet still we are speaking about logic,
> formation of formulas in the above manner is purely logically
> motivated.

"Purely logically motivated" isn't the same as "purely logical".

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS