Topic: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Replies: 17   Last Post: May 26, 2013 4:37 PM

mahipal7638@gmail.com

Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics

On May 24, 4:42 pm, benj <b...@iwaynet.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 15:18:42 -0500, Sam Wormley wrote:
> > An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
> >>http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/05/21/an-
>
> unheralded-breakthrough-the-rosetta-stone-of-mathematics/
>
>  And the key to his groundbreaking idea was something we
>

> >> encounter everyday when we look at the clock.
>
> A clock is a mathematical "breadkthrough"?
>
> "No one can have a monopoly on mathematical knowledge; no one can claim a
> mathematical idea as his or her invention; no one can patent a formula.
> There is nothing in this world that is so deep and exquisite and yet so
> readily available to all."
>
> The actual subject of the article asshat, was the guy won a mathematical
> prize.

The full paragraph is:
"Mathematical formulas and equations represent objective and necessary
truths, which describe the world around us at the deepest level. And
what?s also amazing is that we own all of them. No one can have a
monopoly on mathematical knowledge; no one can claim a mathematical
idea as his or her invention; no one can patent a formula. There is
nothing in this world that is so deep and exquisite and yet so readily
available to all. Today, our celebration of the work of a great
mathematician serves as a reminder that everyone should be given equal
access to this timeless and profound knowledge." -- Edward Frenkel is
Professor of Mathematics at University of California

To which I have to ask, Really?? Why do math equations have names
(Bernoulli, Euler, Green, Maxwell, Dirac, etc.) attached to them? If
no one owns them, then who is it that is not giving this equal access?
Really?!

The price of the MATLAB licenses must really be high now.

> But as we all know now from Chris, nobody invents anything in mathematics
> including this guy. It's all just waiting to be discovered.  You don't
> "invent" it, you "discover" it.  The clock is a great discovery!

And Gravity, like space and time, are great inventions too.

-- Mahipal

Date Subject Author
5/24/13
Read An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Sam Wormley
5/24/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
BJACOBY@teranews.com
5/24/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
mahipal7638@gmail.com
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
mahipal7638@gmail.com
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
some human
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Tom Potter
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Helmut Wabnig
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
BJACOBY@teranews.com
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Peter Percival
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
hanson
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Helmut Wabnig
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
hanson
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
RedAcer
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
byron
5/25/13