Topic: Notation
Replies: 14   Last Post: May 27, 2013 1:46 AM

fom

Re: Notation

On 5/25/2013 8:36 PM, William Elliot wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013, fom wrote:
>

>> On 5/24/2013 10:57 PM, William Elliot wrote:
>>> V is the ZFC universe.
>>> L is the constructible universe.
>>> L_omega0 is the omega_0th level of the constructible universe.
>>>
>>> Correct or needing correcting?

>> Your apparently simple question seems to have generated
>> some interesting replies.
>>

> Seemingly off the mark because I'm asking about notation and not about
> theory.

Just to clarify something concerning your distinction here,
let me observe that the sign of equality in "V=L" is
metamathematical or metalogical or metalinguistic or
however some purist would like to take it as not being
part of the "object language".

In other words, part of the reason your question received
"theory" replies is because of the class/set distinction
and its model-theoretic implications.

These particular notations correspond precisely with
the point at which philosophy and mathematics (prior
to intuitionism and categories) meet. Enough said.