Topic: Notation
Replies: 14   Last Post: May 27, 2013 1:46 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Notation

On May 26, 11:25 am, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 8:36 PM, William Elliot wrote:

> >> Your apparently simple question seems to have generated
> >> some interesting replies.

> > Seemingly off the mark because I'm asking about notation and not about
> > theory.

> Just to clarify something concerning your distinction here,
> let me observe that the sign of equality in "V=L" is
> metamathematical or metalogical or metalinguistic or
> however some purist would like to take it as not being
> part of the "object language".
>
> In other words, part of the reason your question received
> "theory" replies is because of the class/set distinction
> and its model-theoretic implications.
>
> These particular notations correspond precisely with
> the point at which philosophy and mathematics (prior
> to intuitionism and categories) meet.  Enough said.

What part of philosophy has non-sets (defined by their elements, i.e.
sets, and non-well-founded, i.e. irregular) for regular set theory,
and collapsible models for extended theory?

That is: why aren't there simply well-founded and non-well-founded
collections in a unified theory? It seems that the Euclidean, for
geometry, can be to the super-Euclidean (Minkowskian), where are sets
to the super-Russellian?

Seems more: too much left unsaid.

And, Russell as to ZF's regular sets (with an _axiomatized_ infinity
of a particular closed _form_ of finitist principles) sees the same
result on the finite sets, for the form. And, if there's a model of
ZF there's an irregular one.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson