Topic: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Replies: 17   Last Post: May 26, 2013 4:37 PM

Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics

"Mahipal" wrote in message

On May 26, 10:38 am, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
<LordAndroc...@May2013.edu> wrote:
> "Mahipal" wrote in message

> On May 24, 4:42 pm, benj <b...@iwaynet.net> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 24 May 2013 15:18:42 -0500, Sam Wormley wrote:
> > > An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
>
> > unheralded-breakthrough-the-rosetta-stone-of-mathematics/
>
> > And the key to his groundbreaking idea was something we

> > A clock is a mathematical "breadkthrough"?
>
> > "No one can have a monopoly on mathematical knowledge; no one can claim
> > mathematical idea as his or her invention; no one can patent a formula.
> > There is nothing in this world that is so deep and exquisite and yet so
> > readily available to all."

> > The actual subject of the article asshat, was the guy won a mathematical
> > prize.

> The full paragraph is:
> "Mathematical formulas and equations represent objective and necessary
> truths, which describe the world around us at the deepest level. And
> what?s also amazing is that we own all of them. No one can have a
> monopoly on mathematical knowledge; no one can claim a mathematical
> idea as his or her invention; no one can patent a formula. There is
> nothing in this world that is so deep and exquisite and yet so readily
> available to all. Today, our celebration of the work of a great
> mathematician serves as a reminder that everyone should be given equal
> access to this timeless and profound knowledge." -- Edward Frenkel is
> Professor of Mathematics at University of California
>
> To which I have to ask, Really??
> =============================
> Yes, old chum, really.
>
> Why do math equations have names
> (Bernoulli, Euler, Green, Maxwell, Dirac, etc.) attached to them?
> ==============================
> To give a reference to the equation and credit to the mathematician,
> he gets little else. Is not h^2 = a^2+b^2 Pythagorean?

Precisely! That's why mathematics is not owned by all of us.
Intellectual Property copyright laws still apply. Prof Edward's
paragraph is ripe with inconsistency. Why should his books be
copyrighted, while all of math is allegedly not? I'm sure he's point
out that he was using the word patent, to which "some human" presented
an interesting post.

> If
> no one owns them, then who is it that is not giving this equal access?
> ===============================
> Anyone that deprives another of education.
>
> Really?!
>
> The price of the MATLAB licenses must really be high now.
> ===============================
> Why?
> If I refuse to give you a lift in my car without payment (as cab drivers
> do)
> I still haven't deprived you of driving your car. The police will deprive
> you
> of it when you've three single malts inside you, though.

Some are now politically trying to reduce the legal limit from the
current 0.08% down to 0.05% only. Two single malt shots, depending
upon your weight and sex. DUI charges are a profitable business, given
DUI classes teach you that those that drink are usually predominantly
the employed ones. Another way of not saying, "That's where the money
is, not that we're stalking, we would never do that!"
As you like it.
Oops, that belongs to Shakespeare.
Do it my way...
oops, Sinatra...

> > But as we all know now from Chris, nobody invents anything in
> > mathematics
> > including this guy. It's all just waiting to be discovered. You don't
> > "invent" it, you "discover" it. The clock is a great discovery!

> And Gravity, like space and time, are great inventions too.
>
> -- Mahipal
> Gravity was discovered by the apple when Newton's head
> hit it.

Yes. Before Newton all the apples merely floated away into the blue
skies.
Well, the stars are still doing that, but in black skies.

> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
> When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument
> cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

-- Mahipal

Date Subject Author
5/24/13
Read An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Sam Wormley
5/24/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
BJACOBY@teranews.com
5/24/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
mahipal7638@gmail.com
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
mahipal7638@gmail.com
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
5/26/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
some human
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Tom Potter
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Helmut Wabnig
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
BJACOBY@teranews.com
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Peter Percival
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
hanson
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
Helmut Wabnig
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
hanson
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
RedAcer
5/25/13
Read Re: An Unheralded Breakthrough: The Rosetta Stone of Mathematics
byron
5/25/13