Topic: I do not understand result from wolfram
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jun 3, 2013 5:55 AM

David Bernier

Re: I do not understand result from wolfram

On 05/26/2013 02:27 PM, Ray Vickson wrote:
> On Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:57:44 PM UTC-7, JT wrote:
>> Compare this one
>>
>> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.49999999%3D%28%28n%2F2%29-1%29%2Fn
>>
>> n = 1.x10^8
>>

>> and this one
>>
>> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.49999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%3D%28%28n%2F2%29-1%29%2Fn
>>

>> n=-1?
>>

>> Is there something wrong with wolfram alpha, or can it not handle big
>>
>> numb libraries?

> I have said it before and I will say it again: you need to set the default "digits" setting to a higher value. I don't think you can do in Wolfram Alpha, but you must be able to do it in Mathematica. Of course, Mathematica is the computational engine behind Wolfram Alpha, but that does not mean a non-paying Alpha user has access to all the capabilities of a paying Mathematica owner. Aloha does not want a remote user to re-set the basic Mathematica parameters in the host machine!
>
> Exactly the same type of thing happens in Maple (and I previously showed you the output in another thread).

I'd suggest trying out WIMS instead. WIMS is the
WWW interactive multipurpose server :

< http://wims.unice.fr/wims/en_home.html > .

--
99997066781489109195113098994290469881614963208468