Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

fom

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On 5/26/2013 11:17 PM, zuhair wrote:
> On May 26, 4:49 pm, Nam Nguyen <namducngu...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>> Recursion is applied in first order logic formation of formulas,
>>
>> Such application isn't purely logical. Finiteness might be a purely
>> logical concept but recursion isn't: it requires a _non-logical_
>> concept (that of the natural numbers).
>>

>>> and all agrees that first order logic is about logic,
>>
>> That doesn't mean much and is an obscured way to differentiate between
>> what is of "purely logical" to what isn't.
>>

> Yes I do agree that this way is not a principled way of demarcating
> logic. I generally tend to think that logic is necessary for analytic
> reasoning, i.e. a group of rules that make possible to have an
> analytic reasoning. Analytic reasoning refers to inferences made with
> the least possible respect to content of statements in which they are
> carried, thereby rendering them empirically free. However this is too
> deep. Here what I was speaking about do not fall into that kind of
> demarcation, so it is vague as you said. I start with something that
> is fairly acceptable as being "LOGIC", I accept first order logic
> (including recursive machinery forming it) as logic,

Compositionality is an intrinsic part of the modern
conception of logic. Originally, the idea had been
to recognize this in the analysis of natural language,
and, this is contemporary in the sense that linguistic
analysis is directed at identifying a presumed underlying
logical form.

This is actually part of the basis for the Frege-Hilbert
distinction. Frege viewed logical form as corresponding
to underlying thoughts that could be taken as "the same"
across differing colloquial language use. Thus, the
Fregean notion differed from formalist semantical theories
that ground the modern recursive definition of formal
languages.

Frege's identity puzzles are deprecated in the modern
paradigm that treats the axiom

Ax(x=x)

as an ontological statement of self-identity. But,
it is simultaneously a semantical statement of
consistent interpretation of syntactically identical
inscriptions.

The relevance of this is that the denotations of
a logical system must be understood as a well-order.
If one uses the symbol,

'a'

to act as a denoting symbol it can no longer be
available as a denoting symbol when the next
designation of such is required. So, the
course-of-values interpretation of a domain
involves the presupposition of a sequential
listing of denotations.

How then can one argue for the priority of
either logic or arithmetic over the other?

What you refer to as "acceptable" as a matter
of convention is also necessarily basic to
logic in its representational capabilities.

> and then I expand
> it by concepts that are very similar to the kind of concepts that made
> it, for example here in the above system you only see rules of
> formation of formulas derived by concepts of constants, variables,
> quantifying, definition, logical connectivity and equivalents,
> restriction of predicates. All those are definitely logical concepts,
> however what is added is 'extension' which is motivated here by
> reduction of the object/predicate/predicate hierarchy, which is a
> purely logical motivation, and also extensions by the axiom stated
> would only be a copy of logic with identity, so they are so innocuous
> as to be considered non logical.
> That's why I'm content with that sort of definitional extensional
> second order logic as being LOGIC. I can't say the same of Z, or ZF,
> or the alike since axioms of those do utilize ideas about structures
> present in mathematics, so they are mathematically motivated no doubt.
> NF seems to be logically motivated but it use a lot of mathematics to
> reach that, also acyclic comprehension uses graphs which is a
> mathematical concept. But here the system is very very close to logic
> that I virtually cannot say it is non logical. Seeing that second
> order arithmetic is interpretable in it is a nice result, it does
> impart some flavor of logicism to traditional mathematics, and
> possibly motivates logicism for whole of mathematics. Mathematics
> might after all be just a kind of Symbolic Logic as Russell said.
>
> Zuhair
>

>>> similarly here
>>> although recursion is used yet still we are speaking about logic,
>>> formation of formulas in the above manner is purely logically
>>> motivated.

>> "Purely logically motivated" isn't the same as "purely logical".
>>

> A part from recursion, where is the mathematical concept that you
> isolate with this system?

>> --
>> There is no remainder in the mathematics of infinity.
>>
>> NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS