Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On May 27, 7:51 am, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 5/26/2013 11:17 PM, zuhair wrote:

> >> Such application isn't purely logical. Finiteness might be a purely
> >> logical concept but recursion isn't: it requires a _non-logical_
> >> concept (that of the natural numbers).

> >> That doesn't mean much and is an obscured way to differentiate between
> >> what is of "purely logical" to what isn't.

> > Yes I do agree that this way is not a principled way of demarcating
> > logic. I generally tend to think that logic is necessary for analytic
> > reasoning, i.e. a group of rules that make possible to have an
> > analytic reasoning. Analytic reasoning refers to inferences made with
> > the least possible respect to content of statements in which they are
> > carried, thereby rendering them empirically free. However this is too
> > deep. Here what I was speaking about do not fall into that kind of
> > demarcation, so it is vague as you said. I start with something that
> > is fairly acceptable as being "LOGIC", I accept first order logic
> > (including recursive machinery forming it) as logic,

> Compositionality is an intrinsic part of the modern
> conception of logic.  Originally, the idea had been
> to recognize this in the analysis of natural language,
> and, this is contemporary in the sense that linguistic
> analysis is directed at identifying a presumed underlying
> logical form.
>
> This is actually part of the basis for the Frege-Hilbert
> distinction.  Frege viewed logical form as corresponding
> to underlying thoughts that could be taken as "the same"
> across differing colloquial language use.  Thus, the
> Fregean notion differed from formalist semantical theories
> that ground the modern recursive definition of formal
> languages.
>
> Frege's identity puzzles are deprecated in the modern
> paradigm that treats the axiom
>
> Ax(x=x)
>
> as an ontological statement of self-identity.  But,
> it is simultaneously a semantical statement of
> consistent interpretation of syntactically identical
> inscriptions.
>
> The relevance of this is that the denotations of
> a logical system must be understood as a well-order.
> If one uses the symbol,
>
> 'a'
>
> to act as a denoting symbol it can no longer be
> available as a denoting symbol when the next
> designation of such is required.  So, the
> course-of-values interpretation of a domain
> involves the presupposition of a sequential
> listing of denotations.

Despite the detail of that, the question of whether or not predicates
have extensions in the Fregean manner is itself a purely logical
issue. I don't see it a mathematical issue, nor do I see it as a
mathematical interpretation of logic or anything like that. So whether
one stipulate a theory in its favor or against it, then that
stipulation is a logical answer. And given that identity is itself a
logical concept, then there is no harm at all in considering those
extensions as part of logic as far as they are stipulated in a
consistent manner, one can view them as an IMAGE of that consistent
fragment of second order logic with identity on the OBJECT world, so
it is copying the content of predication in that consistent fragment
of logic, so it do have a purely logical content, there is no way to
call that mathematical or any other discipline that logic can be
applied to. Extensional logic is logic. Now that mathematics is found
to be interpretable in it, then this yield that mathematics is a part
of extensional logic. Do you see any clear mathematical motivation
with the system I've presented?

Zuhair

Date Subject Author
5/26/13