Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On May 28, 7:44 am, Nam Nguyen <namducngu...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 26/05/2013 10:17 PM, zuhair wrote:

> >> Such application isn't purely logical. Finiteness might be a purely
> >> logical concept but recursion isn't: it requires a _non-logical_
> >> concept (that of the natural numbers).

> >> That doesn't mean much and is an obscured way to differentiate between
> >> what is of "purely logical" to what isn't.

> > Yes I do agree that this way is not a principled way of demarcating
> > logic. I generally tend to think that logic is necessary for analytic
> > reasoning, i.e. a group of rules that make possible to have an
> > analytic reasoning. Analytic reasoning refers to inferences made with
> > the least possible respect to content of statements in which they are
> > carried, thereby rendering them empirically free. However this is too
> > deep. Here what I was speaking about do not fall into that kind of
> > demarcation, so it is vague as you said. I start with something that
> > is fairly acceptable as being "LOGIC", I accept first order logic
> > (including recursive machinery forming it) as logic, and then I expand
> > it by concepts that are very similar to the kind of concepts that made
> > it, for example here in the above system you only see rules of
> > formation of formulas derived by concepts of constants, variables,
> > quantifying, definition, logical connectivity and equivalents,
> > restriction of predicates. All those are definitely logical concepts,
> > however what is added is 'extension' which is motivated here by
> > reduction of the object/predicate/predicate hierarchy, which is a
> > purely logical motivation, and also extensions by the axiom stated
> > would only be a copy of logic with identity, so they are so innocuous
> > as to be considered non logical.
> > That's why I'm content with that sort of definitional extensional
> > second order logic as being LOGIC. I can't say the same of Z, or ZF,
> > or the alike since axioms of those do utilize ideas about structures
> > present in mathematics, so they are mathematically motivated no doubt.
> > NF seems to be logically motivated but it use a lot of mathematics to
> > reach that, also acyclic comprehension uses graphs which is a
> > mathematical concept. But here the system is very very close to logic
> > that I virtually cannot say it is non logical. Seeing that second
> > order arithmetic is interpretable in it is a nice result, it does
> > impart some flavor of logicism to traditional mathematics, and
> > possibly motivates logicism for whole of mathematics. Mathematics
> > might after all be just a kind of Symbolic Logic as Russell said.

> > Zuhair

> >> "Purely logically motivated" isn't the same as "purely logical".
>
> > A part from recursion, where is the mathematical concept that you
> > isolate with this system?

> I don't remember what you'd mean by "this system", but my point would be
> the following.
>
> In FOL as a framework of reasoning, any form of infinity (induction,
> recursion, infinity) should be considered as _non-logical_ .

> [...]

I see, you maintain the known prejudice that the infinite is non
logical? hmmm... anyhow this is just an unbacked statement. I don't
see any problem between infinity and logic, also I do maintain that
logic with _infinite formulas_ *is* indeed logic, anyhow.

Zuhair

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS