Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7ee6a4bd-a9e9-47b4-90e5-feda79a70b1c@li6g2000pbb.googlegroups.com...
> On May 28, 6:17 am, "Julio Di Egidio" <ju...@diegidio.name> wrote:
>> "Zuhair" <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > It means that any mathematical discourse can be interpreted within a
>> > logical discourse.

>> > Logic is responsible for laying down a set of rules that results in
>> > generation of non contradictory statements in the most general manner.

>> Logic is not just mathematical logic: case in point, you can make of
>> identity an axiom, but the notion of identity itself presupposes an
>> existential stance, so it is not a purely logical notion (in the sense
>> you
>> have just stated). My take is that mathematics uses logic (as the
>> language
>> of mathematics is as well logical) and logic uses mathematics (as the
>> logical calculus is mathematical), but neither can be reduced to the
>> other.
>> Mathematics is the study and applications of "numbers", which is not a
>> purely logical endeavour, while logic is the study and applications of
>> "rational discourse", which is not an essentially mathematical endeavour.
>>
>> I'd think the only way to operate the "unification" you have in mind is
>> by
>> reducing *everything* to just its operational side, the calculus: then
>> there
>> is not even any difference left between logic and mathematics, indeed
>> you'd
>> have destroyed the very nature of both.
>>
>> Just my 2c, feedback welcome.

> Or, both as of objects of plain reason (then with as well geometry):
> the philosophical, logical roots are of the nature of the objects of a
> system with truth.

But logic is not bothered by matters of true, logic is all and only about
validity, i.e. non self-contradiction on logical forms. In particular,
logic is that which abstracts from the specific nature of objects or any
other contingencies. As you may expect, on the other hand, I do not see how
geometry is not just a mathematics.

Then one might retort that the logical true of abstract form constitutes the
object of logic, but that's just a paralogism: logic is purely
self-referential, not just purely abstract as mathematics is.

Julio

> That the or a same fundamental principle can be
> see to bestow upon the objects of logic, numbers, and geometry their
> nature is rather compelling where the same criterion applies to each
> object.
>
> Basically seeing points, numbers, and collections or distinctions as
> primary (in geometry, number theory for mathematics, and set theory
> for proper "logic"), then, how does an axiomless system of natural
> deduction see the inference and deduction of and about them?
>
> Points and their properties of being any different than another point
> can see built a geometry with less axioms than Euclid's, here courtesy
> their being objects, ditto numbers and Peano/Dedekind, ditto sets and
> Zermelo.

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS