Topic: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Replies: 36   Last Post: May 31, 2013 9:26 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon

In article <425e7c8f-10e6-428f-bcda-44e1fbf8b850@googlegroups.com>,
130bcd <carl.sundquist@gmail.com> wrote:

> .... I have unsuccessfully tried to find the perimeter of a pentagon. The "radius"
> to the vertices is 130, which I tried to convert into 5 triangles but I can't
> find a formula for determining the length of the 3rd side of an isosceles
> triangle.
>
> The two equal length sides would, of course be 130 and the angle between them
> would be 72....

If a regular n-gon is inscribed in a circle of radiu r, then each
side of the n-gon has length 2r.sin(pi/n). In your case that means
260.sin(pi/5) or 260.sin(36 degrees).

That can actually be expressed in terms of square roots if you like,
since sin(36 degrees) = (1/4)sqrt(10 - 2.sqrt(5)). Such expressions
involving sqrt(5) underlie the construction of the regular pentagon by
straightedge and compasses (Euclid IV.11, or a neater construction by
Ptolemy).

Ken Pledger.

Date Subject Author
5/28/13
Read Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
130bcd
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Barry Schwarz
[...]
David Bernier
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/30/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
RGVickson@shaw.ca
5/31/13
[...]
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Richard Tobin
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Richard Tobin
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/30/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Graham Cooper
5/30/13