Topic: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Replies: 36   Last Post: May 31, 2013 9:26 PM

JT

Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon

On 28 Maj, 23:24, Ken Pledger <ken.pled...@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> In article <425e7c8f-10e6-428f-bcda-44e1fbf8b850@googlegroups.com>,
>
>  130bcd <carl.sundqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > .... I have unsuccessfully tried to find the perimeter of a pentagon. The "radius"
> > to the vertices is 130, which I tried to convert into 5 triangles but I can't
> > find a formula for determining the length of the 3rd side of an isosceles
> > triangle.

> > The two equal length sides would, of course be 130 and the angle between them
> > would be 72....

>    If a regular n-gon is inscribed in a circle of radiu r, then each
> side of the n-gon has length  2r.sin(pi/n).  In your case that means
> 260.sin(pi/5)  or  260.sin(36 degrees).
>
>    That can actually be expressed in terms of square roots if you like,
> since  sin(36 degrees) = (1/4)sqrt(10 - 2.sqrt(5)).  Such expressions
> involving sqrt(5) underlie the construction of the regular pentagon by
> straightedge and compasses (Euclid IV.11, or a neater construction by
> Ptolemy).
>
>       Ken Pledger.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=260+sin+%28pi%2F5%29++
Is 152 correct for the side length?

Maybe i am lost here but if the side is 130, we can divide the
isoceles into two right angled triangles each with 31 degree angle
correct?
and the hypotenuse of each is 130 and the angle 31. I just plugget it
in here http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm
And then i see that the height for each must be 67 * 2 = 134 * 5 what
did i do wrong?

Date Subject Author
5/28/13
Read Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
130bcd
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Barry Schwarz
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
David Bernier
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/30/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
RGVickson@shaw.ca
5/31/13
[...]
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Richard Tobin
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Richard Tobin
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/30/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Graham Cooper
5/30/13