Topic: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Replies: 36   Last Post: May 31, 2013 9:26 PM

David Bernier

Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon

On 05/28/2013 09:04 PM, Ken Pledger wrote:
> In article
> <ea68917e-c9a5-42fe-b4d7-9fbb0edcd10d@bz1g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
> JT <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Maj, 23:24, Ken Pledger <ken.pled...@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>>> In article <425e7c8f-10e6-428f-bcda-44e1fbf8b850@googlegroups.com>,
>>> 260.sin(pi/5) or 260.sin(36 degrees)....

>> I see your formula use Pi so i guess your formula can only calculate
>> the perimeter to the precision of the given Pi and same would go for
>> the area?

> You're badly misunderstanding this. I used pi as the radian measure
> of an angle, meaning the same thing as 180 degrees. That's why the
> angle pi/5 may also be written as 36 degrees.

[...]

This made me think of the origins of radian measure.
Euler's formula says:
exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x),
and obviously in that formula x is "in radians" ...

I know around the time of the French Revolution
the French introduced "grad" = 1/100 of a right angle,
so 360 degrees == 400 grad(s).

De Moivre came before Euler. With De Moivre's formula,
cis(theta)^n = cis(n theta)
there's no reason I see that theta has to be "in radians" ...

I might guess radians appeared very close to the time
of Euler... (yet, maybe already calculus uses
radian measure preferably, to get d/dx sin(x) = cos(x). )

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
5/28/13
Read Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
130bcd
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Barry Schwarz
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
David Bernier
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/28/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/30/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
RGVickson@shaw.ca
5/31/13
[...]
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Richard Tobin
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Richard Tobin
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
JT
5/29/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Brian Q. Hutchings
5/30/13
Read Re: Trying to find perimeter of a regular pentagon
Graham Cooper
5/30/13