Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

namducnguyen

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On 28/05/2013 6:06 AM, Zuhair wrote:
> [...]

>>> carried, thereby rendering them empirically free. However this is too
>>> deep. Here what I was speaking about do not fall into that kind of
>>> demarcation, so it is vague as you said. I start with something that
>>> is fairly acceptable as being "LOGIC", I accept first order logic
>>> (including recursive machinery forming it) as logic, and then I expand
>>> it by concepts that are very similar to the kind of concepts that made
>>> it, for example here in the above system you only see rules of
>>> formation of formulas derived by concepts of constants, variables,
>>> quantifying, definition, logical connectivity and equivalents,
>>> restriction of predicates. All those are definitely logical concepts,
>>> however what is added is 'extension' which is motivated here by
>>> reduction of the object/predicate/predicate hierarchy, which is a
>>> purely logical motivation, and also extensions by the axiom stated
>>> would only be a copy of logic with identity, so they are so innocuous
>>> as to be considered non logical.
>>> That's why I'm content with that sort of definitional extensional
>>> second order logic as being LOGIC. I can't say the same of Z, or ZF,
>>> or the alike since axioms of those do utilize ideas about structures
>>> present in mathematics, so they are mathematically motivated no doubt.
>>> NF seems to be logically motivated but it use a lot of mathematics to
>>> reach that, also acyclic comprehension uses graphs which is a
>>> mathematical concept. But here the system is very very close to logic
>>> that I virtually cannot say it is non logical. Seeing that second
>>> order arithmetic is interpretable in it is a nice result, it does
>>> impart some flavor of logicism to traditional mathematics, and
>>> possibly motivates logicism for whole of mathematics. Mathematics
>>> might after all be just a kind of Symbolic Logic as Russell said.

>>> Zuhair

>>> A part from recursion, where is the mathematical concept that you
>>> isolate with this system?

>> I don't remember what you'd mean by "this system", but my point would be
>> the following.
>>
>> In FOL as a framework of reasoning, any form of infinity (induction,
>> recursion, infinity) should be considered as _non-logical_ .
>>
>> The reason is quite simple: in the language L of FOL (i.e. there's no
>> non-logical symbol), one can not express infinity: one can express
>> "All", "There exists one" but one simply can't express infinity.
>>
>> Hence _infinity must necessarily be a non-logical concept_ . Hence the
>> concept such the "natural numbers" can not be part of logical reasoning
>> as Godel and others after him have _wrongly believed_ .
>>
>> Because if we do accept infinity as part of a logical reasoning,
>> we may as well accept _infinite formulas_ and in such case it'd
>> no longer be a human kind of reasoning.
>>

> I see, you maintain the known prejudice that the infinite is non
> logical? hmmm... anyhow this is just an unbacked statement.

I did; you just don't recognize it apparently: my "The reason is quite
simple:" paragraph.

> I don't see any problem between infinity and logic,

Well, then, why don't you express infinity with purely logical
symbols, for us all in the 2 fora to see? Seriously, that would
be a great achievement!

> also I do maintain that
> logic with _infinite formulas_ *is* indeed logic, anyhow.

Anyway, First Order _Logic_ does _not_ admit _infinite formulas_ !

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS