Replies: 16   Last Post: May 31, 2013 3:15 AM

Andrzej Kozlowski

Re: Warsaw Univ. course, was Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

First, I would like to thank everyone who has written with expressions
of support for our project and wishes for its success. It is still a
very early stage and obviously success is not guaranteed. However, I
think that if the results do not turn out as we expect we will have only
ourselves to blame, for the starting conditions are almost ideal.
Essentially we have got now everything that I have ever wanted and could
expect to get for this sort of purpose and I think we have a very good
plan so I think it is now a question of whether we still have enough
energy for the implementation and how much our other commitments
interfere with this. Fortunately my main partner in this enterprise is a
young female mathematician (about the same age as my daughter) who is
quite knowledgable about Mathematica, has been using it for a few years
for really serious research work and (unlike me) is full of energy and
not so easily distracted.

The idea of this project has been maturing in my mind for many years,
most of which I spent teaching at universities in Japan. In my last
Japanese university Mathematica was used quite extensively but basically
only for teaching calculus. That worked about as well as described by
others in many posts recently and in more distant past. There were the
usual problems: the competition for time between mathematics and
Mathematica, the fact that a Mathematica based course had to be taught
by a Mathematica enthusiast or it would not be taught at all, and,
perhaps the most serious, that, since Mathematica could not be used in
the examinations, students had little incentive to devote enough time to
it to get to the point where they could do things that were non trivial
enough to be enjoyable. Already then I had some ideas of how one could
attempt to overcome these difficulties but being a "gaijin" I was a
little too isolated even to get an opportunity to test them. The
situation changed quite radically in this respect when I moved over
here.

The main idea, not particularly original but, it seems to me, rather
rarely tried, is that students should be the main "driving force" of
this kind of project. The problems with faculty driven projects have
already been discussed many times and they seem to be the same
everywhere. The situation here is similar to other places: in the
mathematics department we have a few mathematica users, a few users of
other mathematical programs and a lot more people who use computers
mainly for e-mail and perhaps Latex (there are also some who still
prefer pen and paper). But almost everybody I have talked to, is in
favour of the idea of students being able to use math software for the
purpose of illustrating geometrically the concepts taught in lectures
(almost everyone likes this aspect and most people with they had more
skill in this area, but of course are not willing to spend any time on
acquiring them). Using software for computations, as have been noted, is
more controversial. Generally most mathematicians are indeed opposed to
computers being used for computations in the "normal course" but are
quite happy about additional "computation centred" courses in the same
are being available, so this is another thing we are attempting to
realise.

Returning to "conceptual illustrations" (rather than straight
"computations"): although as has been noted, there is an enormous number
of all kinds of mathematical illustrations on the Internet, including
Java animations and the Wolfram Demonstrations site, yet what is
available is very often not quite what is wanted. One reason for that is
probably that the maths department at Warsaw University sees itself as a
rather elite institution. One result of that is that many of our courses
are "monographical" and lecturers try to avoid "standard" examples or
"cliche" problems. We do not, in fact, teach calculus in the sense that
this term is used in the US - instead we have analysis courses with
detailed proofs even for computer science students. Topics such as
"integration techniques" are dealt with in one lecture, and we never
have exam problems in which students are simply asked to compute some
integral. It is assumed that many of these techniques they had already
learned in high school or, if not, can learn by themselves from
textbooks. So the issue of using (or not using) Mathematica to do this
sort of calculations hardly arises. Instead one needs to find, what I
would say are, more subtle ways of using Mathematica. One such
"technique" that I try to stress to students is in connection with
proofs of and counterexamples to mathematical statements.

Problems here are rarely formulated in the form "prove the following
statement". Instead, the usual form is "prove the following statement,
if it is true, and if not, find a counter-example." Now, in this sort of
situation, which resembles real research in mathematics, often the
hardest thing is to decide whether one should attempt to prove a result
or to look for a counter-example. It is in this sort of situation that
looking at sophisticated graphic illustrations, or computing special
cases, and generally experimenting with Mathematica can very often
(particularly in problems in real and complex analysis) be very helpful.
In fact this is how I myself almost always approach any problem that is
susceptible to this sort of treatment (unfortunately a lot of my own
research, being concerned with infinite dimensional objects, is not).

One important element in this idea of "making students the driving
force" is that we have many rather good students, which means they are
capable of taking an additional work-load and that (and this is based on
experience) the majority of them enjoy Mathematica. It will probably be
incomprehensible to
RJF, but this seems particularly true of many of our computer science
students. One reason is that quite a few of them are naturally inclined
to mathematics as well as computer science. In fact, every year, some of
them decide that they would rather be mathematicians (which is perhaps
why we teach them all this abstract mathematics, a lot of which is
probably irrelevant to computer science) and some end up with two
degrees - in math and in computer science. Often for these students,
probably for reasons that are very similar to those described by David
Bailey in his very insightful post) find an approach to mathematics via
Mathematica more congenial to their way of thinking than the traditional
somewhat "Bourbakist" approaches which still prevail among
mathematicians. Another reason why computer science students are natural
audience of Mathematica based mathematics courses is that none of them
suffer from "computer allergy" that is still quite common among older
mathematicians and is sometimes found among younger ones, and that, of
course, they find programming very easy, which is not necessarily true
of all mathematics students. In fact, I have noticed that computer
science students, who often are already familiar with quite many
different languages (they often start programming long before entering
university) find programming in Mathematica intriguing and fun and
quickly learn to do (for me) quite amazing things.

Of course, another important thing was making sure that students can
actually get credit for doing work in Mathematica. The fact that they
also enjoy it helps, but students are human and like other humans are
not likely to do much serious work for nothing.

Well, there is plenty more I could still say on this topic, but I have
to get back to other things. So I just wanted to make a final comment on
one other matter. It's nothing new, I have written this before and it is
something that I differ about with some of the persons who have posted
in this thread. Briefly, I am not an enthusiast of using Mathematica for
"simple" symbolic manipulation. I am sure that may view of this is the
same as that of the great majority of mathematicians and that the reason
for this is not "conservatism". Generally we believe that in mathematics
computers should be used to do things that are too hard or too time
consuming for humans and human beings should do the things that humans
find easy. The reasons for this are practical (this is the only way to
really remain "in control" of your work - which is essential to avoid
producing nonsense) and educational (doing symbolic and even numerical
computations by hand is an essential activity that is needed to acquire
understanding of concepts).
Of course I do not object to Mathematica having capabilities I do not
need or intend to use or teach. If other people find them useful, they
could be a selling point for Mathematica and help to pay for the
development of more features that I want (of course, as long as the
issue of excessive complexity of interface is kept under control).

Andrzej Kozlowski