Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

You are, however, oversimplifying real-world problems (as is almost
always the case so that developing genuine problem solving skills is
possible - bullet trajectories without air resistance?). For
example, making other shapes out of strips of paper adds a huge (time
wasting?) problem to rolling up a rectangle or cutting corners out of
one, maybe saving a rectangle for the top so the problems are
comparable. And it isn't just kids in school, slip-form grain silos
may not be mathematically efficient but both construction and grain
stored per unit land area are vastly superior to big balloons or some
such "ideal" shape. Even the ubiquitous water towers that I grew up
with in the flat Midwest that were balloons have been augmented - if
not replaced - by more efficient silo-type construction. And your big
lakes have problems as well, both mathematical (there is a
mathematical optimal) and practical considerations such as
evaporation and human (agriculture, cities, and environmental - Hetch
Hetchy remains controversial a century later and, even then, it took
the San Francisco earthquake and fires to trump John Muir and get permission).

All these things are critically important but not wasting zero-sum
school math time. That's math avoidance, not math teaching.

Wayne

At 04:54 PM 5/28/2013, kirby urner wrote:
> [...]
>code to be indented properly; Python has significant
>whitespace meaning indentation is used when parsing.
>The table also looks better when the tabs (\t) are not
>ignored (HTML suppresses whitespace by design).
>
>Note that Width is defined as the circumference of the
>cylinder, as if unrolled to make a rectangular sheet.
>

>from math import pi
>
>def cylvol(height, radius): return pi * radius**2 * height
>
>def get_width(height):
> return (8.5)*(11)/height
>
>def get_radius(h):
> w = get_width(h)
> return w/(2*pi)
>
>print("Paper surface of 8.5 x 11 =", 8.5 * 11, "square inches")
>
>print("Height:","Width:","Radius:","Surface:","Vol:", sep="\t")
>for h in [ 0.1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.4, 11.49, 92 ]:
> r = get_radius(h)
> w = get_width(h)
> columns =
> "{height:>6.2f}\t{width:>6.2f}\t{radius:>6.2f}\t{surface:6.2f}\t{volume:>8.2f}"
>
>print(columns.format(height=h,width=w,radius=r,surface=h*w,volume=cylvol(h,r)))
>

>Running the above:
>
>Paper surface of 8.5 x 11 = 93.5 square inches
>Height: Width: Radius: Surface: Vol:
> 0.10 935.00 148.81 93.50 6956.86
> 1.00 93.50 14.88 93.50 695.69
> 2.00 46.75 7.44 93.50 347.84
> 3.00 31.17 4.96 93.50 231.90
> 4.00 23.38 3.72 93.50 173.92
> 5.00 18.70 2.98 93.50 139.14
> 6.00 15.58 2.48 93.50 115.95
> 7.00 13.36 2.13 93.50 99.38
> 8.00 11.69 1.86 93.50 86.96
> 9.00 10.39 1.65 93.50 77.30
> 10.00 9.35 1.49 93.50 69.57
> 11.40 8.20 1.31 93.50 61.03
> 11.49 8.14 1.30 93.50 60.55
> 92.00 1.02 0.16 93.50 7.56
>
>PS: if you're a high school student reading this and your
>STEM classes do not give you access to free software such
>as Python, then consider writing to the governor of your
>state and expressing displeasure at the backwardness of
>your curriculum and the unwanted negative impact on your
>future this deficiency may have. Demand to have an
>interactive full featured programming language in your
>curriculum, not just calculators. Don't take no for an
>answer. The hardware is dirt cheap and the software is
>gratis. Schools that can't supply such minimal equipment
>are poorly funded and administered. You deserve better.
>Have more self esteem.
>
>It's not that I think governors should really be
>involved, but they've insisted in recent chapters. Also
>scan these remarks and see if the content looks at all
>familiar (a post in this same thread):
>
>http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9128009
>
>If not, more warning flags. Talk to your parents. Is
>distance education possible? Sometimes neighboring
>states have more enlightened options, or even far away
>states. Earn academic credit off shore or overseas if
>need be, using your computer as a communications device.
>
>Do not settle for what just happens to be local, if it

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13