Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

Richard Strausz

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction

> [...]

> it and students not. How can you even discuss
> pedagogy if the student is just some random variable?
> A student of algebra is having the epiphanies we had,
> the least of which and the most fundamental is the
> personal recognition of algebraic reasoning and that
> these problems can be "solved". And I said that once
> you cross this point you no longer guess (I didn't
> say avoid). That blissful ignorance is gone forever.
> From this point forward, as far as you (the student)
> are concerned, problems are either solvable or not,
> and when they are not solvable, to you that means you
> just don't know "how". Only later, as an advanced
> student of algebra, will you realize that some of
> these problems are actually NOT solvable.
>
> I actually didn't understand Wayne's response, at
> least in the context of "teaching algebra", that the
> students should plug in the values into the formulas
> and compare results. That isn't algebra. However, if
> I am given a problem with discrete values, that is
> generally what I do first. Run the numbers.
>
> I ran numbers prior to knowing algebra and after
> knowing algebra. I can say without a doubt that
> running numbers never taught me algebra. I ran a lot
> of numbers prior to knowing algebra. I was/am a huge
> fan of "number" and when I first saw adding machines
> and then calculators I tested the machines, not the
> other way around. But it was all arithmetic. The
> closest it ever came to "algebra" was with situations
> involving simultaneous linear relationships, but the
> thinking was still not algebraic. Pre algebraic at
> best. And this goes for tables and graphs as well.
> Without algebra and the reasoned certainty it brings,
> you might as well be (and you will be) guessing.
>
> Wayne does bring up an interesting point though. If
> students "know" the formula for the volume of a
> cylinder and are given two explicit examples of
> cylinders, then why wouldn't they immediately be able
> to answer which has the greatest volume? These
> students misunderstand more than just the formula for
> volume. I can't even say that their misunderstanding
> stops at math.
>
> The only door to algebra is algebra. That is all I am
> saying. At least we all agree that what Richard
> continues to post here is not algebra. I have long
> moved past the question of "What the heck is it that
> Dan is teaching?" to "Why did Dan stop teaching
> algebra?" My conclusion, and this goes also to why
> Richard stopped teaching algebra, is that they are no
> longer teaching students of algebra. Without students
> of algebra how can you possibly be a teacher of
> algebra? Either you teach something that none of your
> students get OR as Dan and Richard have chosen to do,
> you teach something else. My only concerns are...
>
> 1. Don't call it algebra (that is a lie to both the
> students and their parents).
> 2. Are all of your students properly placed in this
> non-algebra class (could any of them have gotten

Bob, I'm teaching geometry.

Richard

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13