Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On May 28, 10:24 pm, Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 27, 2:24 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 26, 9:52 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Frege wanted to reduce mathematics to Logic by extending predicates by
> > > objects in a general manner (i.e. every predicate has an object
> > > extending it).

> > > To speak about this idea in more formal terms, we'll add a monadic
> > > symbol "e" ,denoting 'extension of' to the logical language, and
> > > stipulate the following formation rule:

> > > if P is a predicate symbol then eP is a term.
>
> > > Then axiomatize:
>
> > > eP=eQ iff (for all x. P(x) <-> Q(x)).
>
> > > Now the 'membership' relation would be *defined* as:
>
> > > x E y iff Exist P. P(x) & y=eP
>
> > > This is a second order definition of course.
>
> > > The base logic is second order with identity (axioms included) and e
> > > added.

> > > This trial failed.
>
> > > However there has been many trials to salvage it. The general frame of
> > > all those trials is to restrict predicates eligible to have
> > > extensions.

> > > So the formation rule will be modified to:
>
> > > If P is a\an ... predicate symbol then eP is a term.
>
> > > Examples: Replace "..." in the above rule with the following:
>
> > > (1) first order
>
> > > (2) stratified
>
> > > (3) Acyclic
>
> > > By first order it is meant a predicate definable after a first order
> > > formula.
> > > By stratified it is meant that all symbols in the formula except the
> > > logical connectives, quantifiers, punctuation, = and e will be labeled
> > > with naturals in such a manner that variables linked by = receive the
> > > same label, also any y and G in the formula y=eG will receive the same
> > > label, while predicate symbols will be labeled one step higher than
> > > their arguments, so if x is labeled with i, then P in P(x) must be
> > > labeled with i+1. Of course all occurrence of the same symbol are
> > > labeled by the same label.

> > > Accordingly the formula defining E above is not stratified.
>
> > > Acyclic means that an acyclic polygraph can be defined on the formula
> > > such that each symbol (other than =,e,quantifier and the connectives
> > > and punctuation) is represented by one node and an edge will be
> > > stretched between any two nodes for each atomic formula having the
> > > symbols they stand for as arguments of.

> > > /
>
> > > Now it is clear that all the above qualifications are strictly
> > > syntactical and that they are connected to the issue of consistency of
> > > second order logic itself, so they are mere logical issues, they are
> > > not motivated by any so to say 'mathematical' concept per se.

> > > Now I'm not sure of the strength of those approaches, but if they
> > > prove to interpret PA, then we can say that a substantial bulk of
> > > ordinary mathematics would be in some sense logical, since it would be
> > > interpreted in a basically logical theory since making modifications
> > > to ensure consistency of a fragment of second order logic is itself a
> [...]

I'm speaking specifically about reducing second order arithmetic to
logic.
Most of traditional math can be interpreted in fragments of second
order arithmetic.
Since second order arithmetic is provable in this logical system.
Then most of traditional math can be interpreted in this logical
system.

Of course this promotes logicism which is the more general statement
of:

For every mathematical discourse there is a logical discourse in which
it is interpreted.

Zuhair

Date Subject Author
5/26/13