Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
att1.html (7.2 K)

Well, I suppose if we were all independently wealthy, we could do a lot of things without any particular purpose or return. I have a friend that inherited quite a bit, and I don't recall how many degrees he has, but I've always respected him for knowing that the rest of us have to work and that changes things. It changes what you learn, how you learn, and what you do with what you learn. He is sometimes envious of my ability to turn my education into actual opportunity and to do the things that he only read about. And I am sometimes envious of him not having to. As far as education goes, I got the better deal. As far as life goes, I guess I would rather be independently wealthy.

I am all for electives, but I think the core of your education, be it STEM, non-STEM, academic or vocational must resonate with you and you must be at least moderately successful with it. Because that will be you and probably is you. Unless of course, you are independently wealthy, in which case education probably has very little real value even it it is one of your enjoyable pastimes. I think students should be exposed to new things. I think students should be driven. But as things progress and they find what they like and don't like and what they are good at and not good at, I don't know of any good reason to not work in their direction.

I view education as having a purpose and that purpose is the student.

Your view seems to be that education (just the act) is the purpose.

Bob Hansen

On May 30, 2013, at 3:30 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> Take programming (computer) as another example: some take to it like ducks to water. The new skills become tools for extending their own powers of self expression and they get a lot of satisfaction from the activity, almost as an end in itself. Others never seem like ducks in that medium, with regard to those skills, but they nevertheless get a front row seat on what software is made of and how people make a living doing it.
>
> As an anthropological experience, there's a widening of one's scope, and that, I would suggest, is rightly called "an educational experience."
>
> Our goal in STEM is not to stamp out carbon copies of the two or five "ideal student" templates we have in mind. Diversity is such a hugely desirable trait, yet some just give lipservice to it, not really believing their own speeches.
>
> Having students blossom as "individuals" sounds like an embarrassingly bad outcome to some, as uniformity is so much the goal in so much of industry. These widgets are valuable *precisely because* they're all alike, not because of their variations. That mentality gets applied to schools, seen as factories in this metaphor, students their products, too much variability a disturbance and sure sign of processes gone awry. [2]
>
> There's not just one bell curve we all care about and schools should not be hijacked by any one ethnicity when it comes to defining the scales. That's hard to swallow for some. They'll agree in principle but it's the practice that's sometimes hard. In some enclaves, pluralism is demonized as too dangerously corrosive to ever be tolerable. That kind of xenophobia has itself proved the undoing of too many a culture; resilience comes through exposure and exchange, not isolationism. Some schools prepare diplomats who plan to work things out. Others produce bullies trained to get their way regardless of cost or danger. I see diplomacy as offering the brighter future.
>
> Anyway, my main point is we should be respectful of learning situations wherein one does not show up at the higher end of the bell curve. It's OK to "suck" at this or that, and yet have an interest in learning it anyway, as a mode of enjoyment, as a hobby you might say, but as a form of self discipline and working out in some kind of personal gym, is another way to look at it. Be tolerant of yourself being on the lower end of many bell curves. Don't discriminate against all you're not good at as either irrelevant or unworthy of your attention.
>
> Kirby
>
> [1] http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8604616
>
> [2] http://youtu.be/zDZFcDGpL4U
> RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13