Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On May 31, 6:36 pm, "Julio Di Egidio" <ju...@diegidio.name> wrote:
> "fom" <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote in message
>
> news:UY-dnUnFksIIUDrMnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@giganews.com...> On 5/30/2013 11:20 AM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>

> > is there a criterion
> > for deciding whether either of the complete connectives should
> > be viewed as the canonical complete connective?  That is, is
> > there an asymmetry in the dyslexia we call truth-functional
> > logic?

> Why should there be a canonical one?  Isn't indeed self-referentiality
> (circularity) the essential character of the (any) purely logical system?
> (And, I am intrigued, why would you call such system dyslexic?)
>

> > Well, my ideas are actually motivated by considering
> > set theory.  So, arithmetic, for me, is inside of a
> > theory of classes...

> Kant says that space and time are given prior to experience, in fact as a
> pre-requisite for the possibility of any experience of the world.  Along
> similar lines, counting and distinguishing may very well be a-priory
> faculties, and, at least as far as I can presently see, that's the
> confusion: the use of logic or mathematics to describe what is properly
> pre-logical or pre-mathematical.
>
> Julio

This is interesting. But I don't think that a complex system like for
example second order arithmetic would be of the sort of entities you
are speaking about, you might be right about some the meta-logic
symbols like the natural indices for example, also about the rules of
logic themselves (the logical axioms) those might be provably
necessary to any kind of thought, yes, but what follows from those is
purely analytic (in Frege's sense).

We are not trying to characterize those pre-logic or pre-mathematical
concepts by using logic or mathematics as you think, we are just
trying to know from where we start and what inference system is
necessary and from those what we can build further. As has been shown
here it seems that the major bulk of 'traditional' mathematics is
traceable to logic, more specifically into a kind of predicative
extensional logic, i.e. most of what we think mathematics is about
like for example 'intuitions' about spacial relations and temporal
successor like those concerned with geometry and arithmetic are
actually not really required for having those systems, both geometry
and arithmetic and most of traditional math. can follow from systems
that are purely logically motivated, i.e. motivated by defining
"General" non-contradictory reasoning that is not specific to any
particular realm of thought that they can be applicable to, this is
really a subtle issue, to see that mathematics can follow from such
subtle logical concepts that are by far way weaker than what commonly
thought of mathematics to be about, is really an interesting thing.
Mathematics turns to be just an offshoot of logic, an analytic
machinery rather than derived by any particular intuition about
structure, constructs or succession, this is really interesting to see
that mathematics is so weakly based.

Zuhair

Date Subject Author
5/26/13