Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On Jun 1, 7:13 am, Nam Nguyen <namducngu...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 01/06/2013 8:04 AM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>

> > "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> There's much to be said of the logicist's tools, plainly inference and
> >> deduction, and the notion of most expressive theories with minimal
> >> content in that they're foundations for higher-level theorems and
> >> increasing abstration from the concrete, as to the concrete.

> > The tools are not the endeavour.  Physics uses mathematics to a great
> > extent, yet the initial and final words are to the facts of the physical
> > world, not to those of the calculus.

> Agree. Mathematics is just a language, a description, of physics, not
> the physical reality itself.
>
> By the same token, some of today mathematicians should realize that the
> natural numbers (and truths of FOL language expressions about them)
> don't exist as a concrete truths that logic has to reference, as they
> tend to _wrongly believe so_ after Goedel's Incompleteness.
>
> --
> There is no remainder in the mathematics of infinity.
>
>                                        NYOGEN SENZAKI

Popular articles in physics these days often ask: where is our
mathematics for our physics or data?

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/features/science-news/is-nature-unnatural/

A misleading article title, for whatever is natural is natural, the
notion is so that for physics: where there's reason for anything,
that logic and mathematics and geometry are the only ways to have a
science, for physics. (Plainly the qualitative is as simply logical
as the quantitative, and there is found the quantitative in
physics.)

Here in the context of the plainly and the purely logical, then
there's a notion that the same rules of paucity and conservation and
of balance and symmetry apply to each theory as natural.

Then, what are the _features_ of the numbers and spaces and of logic
itself that would see in their natural carriage _features_ and
_effects_ of the physical? Here to explain our rapidly expanding data
of states and _effects_ in physics, then there's a notion that from
the purely logical as to mathematics: there are _features_ and
_effects_ of the _numbers themselves_, yet to be properly discovered.

In the numbers it's as to the infinite and infinitesimal. Then, where
are derived from foundations: facts of the numbers themselves as they
already are? Goedel's incompleteness isn't just that regular/well-
founded theories have via diagonalization theorems not in the
language: it's that there are facts about those objects not directly
theorems of regular/well-founded theories. Where are derived new
facts about the numbers, that aren't simply constructs outside not of
the numbers of the continuum (trans-finite cardinals, hyper-reals) but
_of_ them: of infinities and infinitesimals (ordinals and complete
infinities, fluxions and the nilpotent): in the real,
correspondingly: in the real.

I suggest that a theory of geometry of points and space, and of
numbers as to the natural integers and to the natural integers redux:
each as to the polydimensional, derived from zeroeth principles, is of
its very being, the most truly fundamental (from the logical and
monist). And, it is of relatively concise developments in the
polydimensional: where _features_ and _effects_ of the numbers would
extend _knowledge_, then fact and the empirical and scientific.

So: find applications, for physics, by discovering features and
effects, of the numbers (of logic) as they already are.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson

Date Subject Author
5/26/13