Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On 2013-06-01, Julio Di Egidio <julio@diegidio.name> wrote:
> "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

>> On 5/31/2013 10:36 AM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:

>>> Isn't indeed self-referentiality
>>> (circularity) the essential character of the (any) purely logical
>>> system?

>> My answer to that is yes.

>> I have done a great deal of work to understand how modern mathematical
>> logic has reached the point where its foundations are almost
>> exclusively focused on non-circularity. So, while you see this
>> condition as a matter of fact, such a claim in the mathematics
>> community may get you some metaphorical version of tar and feathers.

> My point was that mathematical logic is not logic, it's mathematics: it's an
> abuse of language. Then I don't see why the mathematician should flame the
> logician for a claim on logic, all the more so when the logician in question
> is saying that mathematics cannot be reduced to logic in any meaningful
> sense (and vice versa). In simpler terms, what I can see in the logistic
> approach is, firstly reduce all endeavours to mechanics, then call
> mathematics logic, finally assert that all derives from logic.

Mathematical logic is not all of logic, but it is logic, not
mathematics. There is more to the logic which is used by
mathematicians, such as in metamathematics, than is in the
first order predicate calculus, which is what is used in
mathematical proofs. There are metamathematical proofs of
mathematical theorems which do not have mathematical proofs.

There is also inductive logic, which is best represented by
statistical decision theory, and there are modal logics. I
have seen description of "quantum logics", but I do not see
them as more than partial representations.

> Julio

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS