Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

fom

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On 6/2/2013 3:13 PM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Jun 1, 5:49 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
>> On 6/1/2013 9:52 AM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>>

>>> "fom" <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote in message

>>> My point was that mathematical logic is not logic, it's mathematics:
>>> it's an abuse of language. Then I don't see why the mathematician
>>> should flame the logician for a claim on logic, all the more so when the
>>> logician in question is saying that mathematics cannot be reduced to
>>> logic in any meaningful sense (and vice versa). In simpler terms, what
>>> I can see in the logistic approach is, firstly reduce all endeavours to
>>> mechanics, then call mathematics logic, finally assert that all derives
>>> from logic.

>> This helps me to understand your position better.
>>
>> I cannot disagree with you. In trying to understand
>> foundational claims, I find myself in awe of the fact
>> that one might think that the presumed explanatory power
>> of mathematics derives from linguistic forms. On the
>> other hand, the philosophical considerations of something
>> like Russell's knowledge by acquaintance have significant
>> merit. Thus, the approach to logic without regard to
>> what mathematicians do is extremely interesting. They
>> are very different subjects.
>>
>> Did you feel that I had flamed Zuhair when I pointed
>> out that we had different senses of demarcation? I
>> certainly did not mean anything that way. And, if that
>> is his interpretation then I shall offer an apology.
>>
>> Although I do not study logic in the sense that others
>> do, my questions have led me to respect logic as its
>> own discipline. I recently posted this response
>> to the question "What is a proof" on math.stackexchange.com
>>
>> http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/397972/what-is-a-proof/404328...
>>
>> Although I might be wrong, I do not think it is the
>> typical response from someone trained in mathematics.

> Hmm, "fom" as "mitch": that makes sense as of Mitch's connectives
> then as to fom's initial posts.
>
> Mitch?

Yes. 10 years ago I was viciously flamed by George Greene.

'fom' was chosen to make plain the focus of my statements at
all times.

I had expected the same response at this time. But, the
newsgroup has changed significantly, and, for the most part,
I am ignored. And, that is just fine.

Although pursuing the philosophical aspects of which I had
been unaware has cost me a great deal of my mathematical
skills, I am grateful to George. His flaming of my
posts forced me to investigate matters more fully.

:-)

Date Subject Author
5/26/13
Read LOGIC & MATHEMATICS