Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
att1.html (4.2 K)

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2013, at 2:01 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There should be no teaching of algebra as it was taught in say 1964. They
> had no decent way to program personal computers back then, no Google Earth,
> no GPS.
>

> Algebra has nothing, zero, zip, to do with computers. Algebra is entirely
> about thinking. This is what I mean about the purpose lost.

That's entirely incorrect Bob. Plus you're quite inconsistent as you've
written here a number of times that 'Mathematics for the Digital Age and
Programming in Python' is a respectable math-learning text as text books
go. It had better be, as families frequently pay the big bucks to have
their students go to such schools that use it.

Computer programs (as much as on-paper forms as "human computers" used to
fill out, such as when computing a geodesic domes angles and edges) are in
part about standardizing algorithms -- meaning you need to know right away
what's a constant and what's a variable. Then you learn about what
variations in input produce what variations in output. Again, that's
functional analysis and ratio-ing deltas, the basis of diffy-Q.

Whipping out programs is a great way to study the properties of
mathematical objects, including Pascal's Triangle, which has everything to
do with the Binomial Theorem (still part of pre-calc algebra the last I
checked).

Computers are a tool, like calculators. Nowadays it's still about using
calculators. That's part of what's criminal. Teachers are at least a
decade behind on average and getting further behind by the day. SQL
relates to boolean algebra or has "boolean algebra" nothing to do with
"algebra" despite the truth tables the alegbra books commonly feature.

The algebra you had as a kid is not something I'm keen to perpetuate.
Conway's and Guy's 'The Book of Numbers' is more in the ballpark, but then
so is 'Godel Esher Bach' in providing a more "lexical" idea of precise rule
following (the kind of appreciation helps make chess a part of maths, as
much as Conway's Game of Life, which it isn't only for ethnic reasons, no
"pure reason" at work -- English has a way of dumpstering a lot of good
thinking thanks to mind-numbing antibodies).

But lets just say for the sake of argument that there's nothing in the
newer STEM curriculum that's recognizably "algebra" the way you remember
it, with just such a list of topics, just such a table of contents.

That would be, is going to be, a very good thing, a blessing. My thesis is
we can't afford to hold kids back to the degree you would like to, for
reasons of nostalgia perhaps.

When you have a language that permits operator overloading so
you-the-student get to define a meaning for multiplication, addition etc.,
and think about properties of multiplicative and additive inverse in the
abstract, you're inherently in a better position to really learn algebra
than some late 1900s 8th grader with no access to such tools.

Kirby

> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13