Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
att1.html (3.9 K)

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2013, at 6:18 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There's a massive "NIH / NIMBY" syndrome where no specific faculty says
> it's their job to stay relevant. The turf battles are between wallowing
> dinosaurs sinking in a mud of their own making.
>

> This is not about relevance and it isn't about CS versus Algebra. It is
> dirt simple. If a student can handle algebraic reasoning then that opens up
> opportunity in other like-minded disciplines, even CS. And if they can
> handle algebra really well, then they can go on to handle that python math
> text. And if they can do neither, well, there are a hundred other things
> they can do. This is about who the student is and this is what the purpose
> of education needs to return to.

I think it is. We have a frozen-in-place snap shot of a train wreck of a
curriculum inherited from several generations and including layers of
reform, counter-reform etc. It's as messed up as religion. Basic finding
an unknown, rules of equality, we can call those "algebra skills" and we
can keep weaving in that same material. But do we want to carve out two
years and call them Algebra 1 and Algebra 2? Mass publishing might think
so. I fight for a time when individual schools don't have to care with
mass publishing might think.

Your focus is student performance vis-a-vis some status quo, with a desire
to talk realistically about failure and success.

My focus is the curriculum itself and the failing job adults have been
doing in terms of keeping it meaningful.

Actually you talk about that too but you suffer from all these rigid ideas
of what's CS and what's math and what's algebra... ideas we needn't work
too hard to get clear on, since we're not planning to go by them anyway
("we" being the reformers in my camp, many of whom urge wider adoption of
Python it's true).

> What is the point to replacing the doctrine of algebra with some doctrine
> of python or html or sql? There shouldn't be a doctrine at all. At least
> not after the first 7 or 8 years.
>
> Bob Hansen

The word "doctrine" is being introduced by you, not me. I spoke in terms
of tools and calculators being tools. The artifacts one uses make a big
difference.

In changing the tool set, we may also need to change / ignore some of the
artificial barriers created by the turf-minded to artificially segregate
STEM topics. We may choose to slice things up differently as is our
prerogative.

Maybe SQL is part of Civilization 101, along with stats and some trig
(emphasis on surveying and cartography). High schoolers encouraged to join
this distance education course for college credit, but also counts as a 3rd
year math class. Lots of geometry and architecture too.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13