Topic: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS
Replies: 96   Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 5:19 AM

fom

Re: LOGIC & MATHEMATICS

On 6/4/2013 9:19 AM, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> On May 28, 8:13 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:

>>> You say you are reducing mathematics to logic by equating arithmetic
>>> with certain classes.

>> *I* am doing nothing.
>>
>> I merely answered your statement as it is presented in
>> the literature historically.

> I am asking for a formal definition of "reducing mathematics to
> logic" (RMTL). In other words, a condition under which something can
> be said to be RMTL if it meets that condition. But you simply refer
> to some system and claim that it does RMTL without ever defining what
> constitutes RMTL. References to philosophy and other people's words
> do not constitute a statement of a formal definition of what you are
> accomplishing. It simply gives you a (fake) excuse for saying
> whatever you want and making claims about it, without ever giving a
> precise definition of what you supposedly accomplished.
>
> Here's a discourse of mathematics: "To bisect an angle, place the
> point of a compass on its vertex, draw 2 arcs that intersect within
> the angle, use a straightedge to draw a line connecting the vertex to
> that intersection, and that line bisects the angle." Isn't that
> mathematics? But you can't right here reduce that to logic, can you?
>
> C-B

Make me laugh some more. You are a good clown.

If you insist on acting stupid and childish, then you must
define 'mathematics' and 'logic'.

Then I shall tell you if anything I might try to say could
convince you of anything. I do doubt that by virtue of your
response.

In Chapter 9 of "Vectors and Tensors" by Bowen and Wang
you can find the definition of a Euclidean point space.
This is how the usual topology of real spaces is attached
to the algebra of inner product spaces.

Bowen and Wang do a wonderful job of formulating all of
the algebra up to that point (Perhaps you should review
"Universal Algebra" by Graetzer to understand how to
proceed in the most formal manner that does not presume
geometrically-based group-theoretic forms).

What may perhaps be required as prior to some of these
constructions is the class-based construction described
by Kleene in "Introduction to Metamathematics" which reviews
the intent of the work done by Dedekind and Cantor.

For what this is worth, your beliefs as an individual
are irrelevant to the meaning of "reducing mathematics
to logic". The phrase reflects historical events. If
you choose ignorance in these matters, that is what you
choose.

The general

Date Subject Author
5/26/13