Topic: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 1:58 AM

Tom Potter

Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift

"Absolutely Vertical" <absolutelyvertical@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 6/6/2013 10:48 PM, Tom Potter wrote:
>> I suggest that it is okay
>> for people to use their OWN time, money, and minds
>> on religions, astrology, pornography, global warming, etc.
>>
>> but I don't think the masses should allow
>> people on the public dole
>>
>> to waste the public's time, money and minds
>>
>> looping endlessly on the pursuit of information
>> that cannot be justified on the basic of
>> current or projected benefits.

> short answer is that you are in the minority.
> short answer is that the majority believes that one of the functions of
> government is to take a portion of public funds and allocate it to the
> support of fundamental research that is not tied to practical return on
> investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

"In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the
people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true
because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of
the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."

This type of argument is known by several names, including appeal to the
masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy,
appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of
the many, and bandwagon fallacy, and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum
("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans").
It is also the basis of a number of social phenomena, including communal
reinforcement and the bandwagon effect. The Chinese proverb "three men make
a tiger" concerns the same idea."

I suggest that they people who support this approach to society
think that the strongest gang should rule individuals
and the weaker gangs.

It seems to me that the strongest gang approach
is primitive and immoral

and that rational, intelligent, moral people
should create societies
that protect the rights of individuals and weaker gangs.

--
Tom Potter

http://the-cloud-machine.tk
http://tiny.im/390k

Date Subject Author
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Sam Wormley
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/11/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Graham Cooper
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Sam Wormley
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/7/13
Read tivirelaty
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Norbert_Paul
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/14/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tucsondrew@me.com