Topic: Can we count N ?!
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 10, 2013 12:06 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: Can we count N ?!

"Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in message
news:kp1hkg$8r8$1@dont-email.me...

> By the same token, the sequence of subsets of N shown initially captures
> *all* subsets of N, finite and (potentially) infinite.
>
> Bottom line, within the potentially infinite, P(N) is countable.

I retract this conclusion as such, which is bogus in light of the definition
of countability: at the moment I see no way out of the fact that counting
the power-set is a super-task, i.e. that we get into the non-standard, and
this is because we need to count terminal nodes of the infinite binary tree
to actually count the infinite sets. But the contention that a theory of
infinite sets cannot have potentially infinite sets rather becomes the
contention that, in a coherent theory of potentially infinite sets, the
power set of a set would only have the set's finite subsets as members. --
Are there set theories with this kind of limited power-set definition?

Julio