Topic: The Charlwood Fifty
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 10:24 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: The Charlwood Fifty, another Macsyma result

On 6/9/2013 7:40 PM, Albert Rich wrote:
> On Sunday, June 9, 2013 3:37:09 PM UTC-10, Richard Fateman wrote:
>

>> INT(x^3*ASEC(x)/SQRT(x^4-1), x)
>>
>> is
>>
>> ((a * (sqrt(x^2 - 1) * asec(x) - 1))/2) + ((log(((a + 1)/(a -
>> 1))))/4)
>>
>> with a=sqrt(x^2+1).
>>
>> I have not investigated how this fairs with respect to maximal
>> continuity.

> Unfortunately, that is not a valid antiderivative since subtracting
> its derivative from the original integrand and substituting -2 for x
> does not equal zero.
>
> Albert

It checks out in Macsyma. In separate correspondence with Albert Rich,
he suggested looking at how Macsyma defines the derivative of arcsecant.
Indeed, Macsyma's definition differs by a sign for negative argument.

For Macsyma's definition, the integral is correct. For Maple or
Mathematica or Maxima, the integral needs an extra abs().

I suppose the dlmf would provide the definitive form, but it seems to
be offline at the moment. I'm guessing it agrees with Maxima, not Macsyma.

RJF

Date Subject Author
5/23/13
Read The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
5/23/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
5/23/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/16/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/16/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/17/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/17/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/17/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/17/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/17/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Waldek Hebisch
6/18/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
6/24/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/24/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
5/23/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
5/23/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Waldek Hebisch
5/24/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Andreas Dieckmann
5/25/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/1/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/3/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
6/6/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/6/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/6/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/8/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/8/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
6/8/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/8/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Albert D. Rich
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/10/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/10/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/10/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/12/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/13/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/13/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/13/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Waldek Hebisch
6/13/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Nasser Abbasi
6/13/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Waldek Hebisch
6/14/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/14/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
Waldek Hebisch
6/14/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty / Sage and sympy
Richard Fateman
6/14/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty and Macsyma
Richard Fateman
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty and Macsyma
Albert D. Rich
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty, another Macsyma result
Richard Fateman
6/9/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty, another Macsyma result
Albert D. Rich
6/10/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty, another Macsyma result
Richard Fateman
6/10/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty, another Macsyma result
clicliclic@freenet.de
6/10/13
Read Re: The Charlwood Fifty, another Macsyma result
Waldek Hebisch
6/11/13