Topic: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 1:58 AM

Absolutely Vertical

Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift

On 6/8/2013 9:53 PM, Tom Potter wrote:
> "Absolutely Vertical" <absolutelyvertical@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> On 6/6/2013 10:48 PM, Tom Potter wrote:
>>> I suggest that it is okay
>>> for people to use their OWN time, money, and minds
>>> on religions, astrology, pornography, global warming, etc.
>>>
>>> but I don't think the masses should allow
>>> people on the public dole
>>>
>>> to waste the public's time, money and minds
>>>
>>> looping endlessly on the pursuit of information
>>> that cannot be justified on the basic of
>>> current or projected benefits.

>> short answer is that you are in the minority.
>> short answer is that the majority believes that one of the functions of
>> government is to take a portion of public funds and allocate it to the
>> support of fundamental research that is not tied to practical return on
>> investment.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
>
> "In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the
> people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true
> because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of
> the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."
>
> This type of argument is known by several names, including appeal to the
> masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy,
> appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of
> the many, and bandwagon fallacy, and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum
> ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans").
> It is also the basis of a number of social phenomena, including communal
> reinforcement and the bandwagon effect. The Chinese proverb "three men make
> a tiger" concerns the same idea."

in a democratic society, like the united states, policies are in fact
driven ad populum, without apology. i believe, in fact, that is the
whole idea.

> I suggest that they people who support this approach to society
> think that the strongest gang should rule individuals
> and the weaker gangs.

certainly, in democratic society, the idea is that the voice of the
majority will rule over the voice of the minority.

> It seems to me that the strongest gang approach
> is primitive and immoral

and so you're taking the stand that democracy is a primitive and immoral
social structure?

> and that rational, intelligent, moral people
> should create societies
> that protect the rights of individuals and weaker gangs.

Date Subject Author
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Sam Wormley
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/11/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Graham Cooper
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Sam Wormley
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/7/13
Read tivirelaty
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Norbert_Paul
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/14/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tucsondrew@me.com