Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
att1.html (7.3 K)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2013, at 8:55 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My doctrine, as spelled out over the years in this archive, is that the
> model for USA public schools at least is you're educating "virtual
> presidents". It makes no difference if they're inclined towards
> construction. We have presidents in every walk of life and of every
> religion and gender. It's not about what you actually *do* in the sense of
> "career".
>

> Virtual presidents? And what do they eat? Virtual food? Do they live in
> virtual houses and pay virtual rent?

It's a similar idea to the IBM idea of a "virtual machine". When you sit
down at a 360/370 running CMS or whatever, you are granted the "virtual
reality" of having an entire computer. You can mount devices, run jobs,
engage peripherals, as if this expensive mainframe were yours to run. Of
course in reality you're just one more user, each of which has the same
virtual reality.

A "virtual president" is someone with the character of willing to be
responsible for the successful operation of the USA democracy, which I call
"USA OS" (OS for operating system).

In my writings on all this, you'll see one of the practical consequences is
a different way to design websites if you're a governmental agency.
Instead of trying to model a "lobby" with "reception" and lots of
hard-to-find rooms, you model being the Secretary or Director of whatever
and give browsers more of a bird's eye view of the vista from your point of
view. The Bureau of Indian Affairs gives you lots of ESRI-like overlays.

http://www.grunch.net/synergetics/usaos2.html

Some of that has been going on, but there's long way to go if the American
peoples want to take maximum advantage of their shared system(s) of
governance.

> I can sum up this whole exchange and our differences. While you were
> traveling between international schools I was signing up for free lunch.
> For me and the people I hire, be they foreign born or not, school is like
> real estate. It's all about vocation, vocation, vocation.

President is a vocation. Diplomat is a vocation. Eagle Scout is a
vocation.... why is this some big difference on that score?

Instead of "free lunch" or food stamps, our family lived on fresh produce
about to be composted. That was during an economic downturn. I lived off
the business credit line and charitable donations and Food Not Bombs. I
tried to make some headway in trucking, helping a database guy /
transportation engineer who already plots trips for major amounts of
tonnage. As a solo coder himself, he could barely afford me. I taught at
Saturday Academy for a pittance, and for free. I took in a corporate
refugee from General Dynamics (a dead end job) who lived in my basement and
helped scavenge food.

> And another thing I realized this last year. These young people that take
> it that way, be they foreign born or not, will be the next new americans,
> not much different from the previous batch. The rest will be working at
> Starbucks paying off their school loans. If I were an economics major (or
> sociology major) I think a fascinating thesis would be to study the
> mobility patterns of the last two generations (30 years). I don't think
> there has ever been such a significant flipping since WWII.
>
> Bob Hansen

One should expect several vocations in the course of a lifetime.

As I was saying earlier in this thread, you don't always have adequate
information going in, nor a sufficient realization of your opportunities.
A lot of vocations come to seem like a "dead end" after a while. If there
were a better safety net, you could more safely make a transition to a new
path.

That's a great argument for a better safety net (one of the best out
there), as people happy in their jobs is a public / shared good, whereas
people hating their work is a recipe for depression and dislocation, lost
productivity, on-the-job injuries and so on -- also malpractice, breaking
stuff, lousy customer service, snapping under stress, going postal.

How to get rid of "dead end jobs" even while not eliminating the jobs that
need doing? How to end exploitation of one "class" by another?

Suppose you're young and healthy and want to learn a foreign language.
Suppose you go to Russia and work on a railroad, not as a slave or coolie,
but as a graduate student (jokes apply).

Some hours a day you're out laying track, surveying, pounding in spikes.
Other hours you're in your high tech encampment with jacuzzi domes, wifi,
wii, field trips, lectures, courses in local history, cuisine. It's a 14
month stint, after which you'll be moving to Thailand to work in the
fishing industry, also for academic credit.

If all goes well, in five years you'll get to join a truck caravan from
Istanbul to Kabul (a freight route even now) and get that Harvard Business
degree you've been coveting.

A lot like Peace Corps no? But in every direction. People help in North
America as well. We have a Russian girl right now, SE FNB chapter, helping
to feed the poor Americans.

My friend Greg is going to Peru to study the collapse of fishing stocks, to
maybe apply some of what he learns to the Baltic region. He's been at
Princeton recently, speaks fluent Russian, also Woods Hole.
http://www.whoi.edu/

Let people turn their dead end jobs into work-study opportunities, and have
the "Global U" provide a safety net that lets people easily change their
courses and workload, as they discover their true leadings.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13