Topic: Mainstream Mathematics?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jun 16, 2013 2:07 PM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Mainstream Mathematics?

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:17:53 PM UTC-7, Norbert_Paul wrote:
> Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>

> > "Norbert_Paul" <norbertpauls_spambin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Just a question.
>

> >> Is there any classical main-stream mathematician hanging
>
> >> around in this newsgroup? I am new to this channel and the
>
> >> postings here are, er..., quite special. Also my kill-list
>
> >> is about to spill over.
>

> > There are plenty of serious mathematicians hanging around here, just ask
>
> > a serious question.
>

> Once a question of mine was indeed solved here some years ago.
>
> Currently I have no auestion. Also I usually try to solve them
>
> first by myself because I love problem solving. I am just
>
> curious what is going on here. Was expecting interesting
>
> discussions and now I'm disappointed.

I ended up here while searching the web for lower level writings
on "Non-Cantorian Set Theory." I guess the frequent occurrence of
"Anti-Cantorian" led me here. I looked over some of the postS.
At first I was amused, but then appalled and concerned. The crankery
here can be quite severe, and the Internet is great for spreading
misinformation. This site, supposedly, discusses Logic and Math.
There are rules that need to followed. I'm a pretty easy going guy,
but you just can't fudge logical rules.

Also, I have found the "Defending of the Alephs" a good way to
excise my logical skills. Which I surely need, as you can see when
I get brain-twisted in somebody's ridiculous fallacious idea.

ZG

Date Subject Author
6/11/13
Read Mainstream Mathematics?
[...]