Topic: Mainstream Mathematics?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jun 16, 2013 2:07 PM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Mainstream Mathematics?

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:22:42 PM UTC-7, Norbert_Paul wrote:
> Zeit Geist wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:57:57 PM UTC-7, Norbert_Paul wrote:
>
> >> Just a question.
>

> >> Is there any classical main-stream mathematician hanging
>

> >> around in this newsgroup? I am new to this channel and the
>

> >> postings here are, er..., quite special. Also my kill-list
>

> >> is about to spill over.
>

> > There are a few. I would say I'm an amateur mainstream
>
> > mathematician. And there are much better ones here.
>

> > What areas are you interested in?
>

> My main topic of interest is topology.
>
> Acutally I one question comes into my mind:
>
> Why can the fact that
>
> "Topology covers catergorical statements
>
> that are true or wrong"
>
> make topology unsuitable for spatial
>
> data modelling?
>
> That quotation is an actual reviewer's
>
> objection against a research proposal which
>
> was then rejected.

Does that statement imply that Topology cannot be used
as a foundation for Spatial Data Modelling?

If so, why?

Because it "makes categorical statements that are
true or wrong"?

True in what context?
What does it mean for a statement to be wrong?

ZG

Date Subject Author
6/11/13
Read Mainstream Mathematics?
[...]