Topic: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 1:58 AM

Tom Potter

Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift

"Absolutely Vertical" <absolutelyvertical@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 6/8/2013 9:53 PM, Tom Potter wrote:
>> "Absolutely Vertical" <absolutelyvertical@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> short answer is that you are in the minority.
>>> short answer is that the majority believes that one of the functions of
>>> government is to take a portion of public funds and allocate it to the
>>> support of fundamental research that is not tied to practical return on
>>> investment.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
>>
>> "In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to
>> the
>> people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true
>> because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of
>> the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."
>>
>> This type of argument is known by several names, including appeal to the
>> masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy,
>> appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority
>> of
>> the many, and bandwagon fallacy, and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum
>> ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the
>> clans").
>> It is also the basis of a number of social phenomena, including communal
>> reinforcement and the bandwagon effect. The Chinese proverb "three men
>> make
>> a tiger" concerns the same idea."

> in a democratic society, like the united states, policies are in fact
> driven ad populum, without apology. i believe, in fact, that is the whole
> idea.
>

>> I suggest that they people who support this approach to society
>> think that the strongest gang should rule individuals
>> and the weaker gangs.

> certainly, in democratic society, the idea is that the voice of the
> majority will rule over the voice of the minority.
>

>> It seems to me that the strongest gang approach
>> is primitive and immoral

> and so you're taking the stand that democracy is a primitive and immoral
> social structure?
>

>> and that rational, intelligent, moral people
>> should create societies
>> that protect the rights of individuals and weaker gangs.

The buck has to stop SOMEWHERE,
and the question is
WHEN the buck should be stopped
and WHO should stop the buck?

Should a single person, ( Like Bush )
or a single gang
( Like the Mass Media, unions, religions, political parties, etc. )
or the total society ( Democracy )
be the FINAL BUCK STOPPER?

No doubt there must be intermediate "buck stoppers"
before appealing to a final authority,
but the majority should be the FINAL BUCK STOPPER.

I suggest that rational, intelligent, moral folks
who REALLY believe in democracy
should use honest, factual, arguments
to appeal to buck stoppers at ALL levels,

rather than use lies, distortions, and LOGICAL FALLACIES.

It would be best to have the
summation of pleasure - pain
for all people

to be the FINAL BUCK STOPPER
but as this is not possible at this time,
democracy is the best choice.

And the masses should not allow
Mass Media or any individual
or any gang to manipulate them with
lies, distortions, and LOGICAL FALLACIES.

The use of lies, distortions, and LOGICAL FALLACIES
to manipulate buck stoppers at ALL major levels
should be a felony.

For example the people
who used lies, distortions, and LOGICAL FALLACIES
to manipulate America into the war against Iraq
should be prosecuted,

and the people
who used lies, distortions, and LOGICAL FALLACIES
to manipulate America into the Spanish-American war,
WWI and WWII should be exposed.

--
Tom Potter

http://the-cloud-machine.tk
http://tiny.im/390k

Date Subject Author
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Sam Wormley
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/11/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Graham Cooper
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Sam Wormley
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/6/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/7/13
Read tivirelaty
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Absolutely Vertical
6/12/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Golshifteh Farahani
6/7/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Norbert_Paul
6/8/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tom Potter
6/9/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)
6/10/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Brian Q. Hutchings
6/14/13
Read Re: Unbeatable Relativity or Paradigm Shift
Tucsondrew@me.com