Topic: Multiplying each colum of my matrix by a constant
Replies: 13   Last Post: Jun 15, 2013 3:54 AM

Wanderson

Re: Multiplying each colum of my matrix by a constant

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kp9vn3$v42$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 6/11/2013 6:49 PM, dpb wrote:

> >> hehe, my problem is that I am doing a program that evaluates some double
> >> integrals, calculate FFT and whanever, but I have a NECESSARY big 'FOR
> >> LOOP' inside my program to store each value of these integrals in the
> >> right place. And I didn't want to use another loop inside my huge loop
> >> rsrsrs.

> > For 3x3 you can always try the explicit repmat() route, too for
> > comparative timings...
> >
> > m.*repmat(v,size(m,1),1)
> >
> > And, of course, if you're lucky enough that the v is a constant you
> > could obviously save it since memory isn't going to be an issue.
> >
> > bsxfun() is essentially syntactic candy to save explicitly writing such
> > as the above but is basically all it is. Of course, it has the overhead
> > of processing inputs and all that. I've not tested but I'd suspect the
> > time differential would drop pretty quickly w/ size of the arrays as
> > compared to other implementation choices.
> >

> BTW...
>
> If the object is speed in an inner loop, then for the 3x3 case the
> original version of writing out the three explicit multiplies may well
> be the most efficacious route. For higher dimensions it gets klunky
> certainly but for as few as three it's not so bad.
>
> --

Thanks again dpb,
In fact, my matrices dimensions vary inside my program rsrs.
I start with an 3x3 matrix and they will growing as (2k+1) x (2k+1) dimension.
I'll try the repmat idea, this function seems to be very usefull to many things, I should learn more about it.