Topic: new tutor here
Replies: 151   Last Post: Jul 17, 2013 4:09 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: new tutor here

Or you might have tried something far less time-consuming such as,
"Multiplication makes things larger? What about one-half of
something? One-half of everything? One-tenth of
everything? Followed by, "That's multiplication by a positive number
between zero and one." Better NOT to say simply "less than one"
because (perhaps already?) the student is supposed to be
algebra-ready enough to be proceeding to deeper stuff where
multiplication by negatives (all less than one) will need to be taken
for granted. Try to identify - and as quickly as possible correct -
other inhibiting deficits (competence in arithmetic through ordinary
fractions and ratio and proportion are probably enough). And then get
on to some real math.

Wayne

Date Subject Author
6/12/13