Topic: Mainstream Mathematics?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jun 16, 2013 2:07 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Mainstream Mathematics?

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:40:24 PM UTC-7, Zeit Geist wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:17:53 PM UTC-7, Norbert_Paul wrote:
>

> > Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>

> > > "Norbert_Paul" <norbertpauls_spambin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > There are plenty of serious mathematicians hanging around here, just ask
>

> > > a serious question.
>

> > Once a question of mine was indeed solved here some years ago.
>

> > Currently I have no auestion. Also I usually try to solve them
>

> > first by myself because I love problem solving. I am just
>

> > curious what is going on here. Was expecting interesting
>

> > discussions and now I'm disappointed.
>

> I ended up here while searching the web for lower level writings
>
> on "Non-Cantorian Set Theory." I guess the frequent occurrence of
>
> "Anti-Cantorian" led me here. I looked over some of the postS.
>
> At first I was amused, but then appalled and concerned. The crankery
>
> here can be quite severe, and the Internet is great for spreading
>
> misinformation. This site, supposedly, discusses Logic and Math.
>
> There are rules that need to followed. I'm a pretty easy going guy,
>
> but you just can't fudge logical rules.
>

> Also, I have found the "Defending of the Alephs" a good way to
>
> excise my logical skills. Which I surely need, as you can see when
>
> I get brain-twisted in somebody's ridiculous fallacious idea.
>

> ZG

Do the integers, via their existence, contain elements infinite in extent?

If not, what is their extent?

A variety of classical era thinkers maintain a discussion on mathematics.

There's nothing wrong in defending cherished ideals, if conscientiously accepting their limitations, and not aggrandizing their purpose beyond their demesnes.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson

Date Subject Author
6/11/13
[...]