Topic: Mainstream Mathematics?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jun 16, 2013 2:07 PM

fom

Re: Mainstream Mathematics?

On 6/14/2013 2:46 AM, Norbert_Paul wrote:
> fom wrote:
>> On 6/13/2013 1:47 AM, Norbert_Paul wrote:
>> >
>>> I am not interested in philosophical discussions about math.
>>> I just stick to mathematics.

>> True mathematics?

> Standard classical mathematics, just like the one studied in
> univerities, or, as others may put it, the "brainwashed" side
> of math. (Note: when something isn't washed yet it is
> dark--after washing it is light).
>

>> If so, then please explain how you disconnect the two.

> I don't disconnect them. I just don't want to discuss here how
> such connection might look like.

Fair enough. That is why I included other mentions
in the post.

As for what is studied in universities, I received my
degree in mathematics. But, philosophy departments teach
an awful lot of mathematics relative to metamathematics
and computer science departments teach an awful lot of
mathematics relative to computation. That does not even
touch what goes on in business schools or physics departments.

I enjoyed what I had learned. Apparently, I had been
brainwashed...

math.stackexchange.com and mathoverflow.net have a wide
selection of classical mathematical questions and answers.

Of course, others have already given you those choices.

Date Subject Author
6/11/13
Read Mainstream Mathematics?
Norbert_Paul
[...]