Topic: Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the University
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 5:52 PM

Greg Goodknight

Re: Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the University
att1.html (7.9 K)

On 06/13/2013 03:25 PM, Richard Hake wrote:
> Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the Universi
> Some subscribers to Math-Teach might be interested in a recent post
> "Assessment of Climate Change: A Challenge for the University" [Hake
> (2013)]. The abstract reads:

I think it's clear that many universities have already been pushing this
as hard as can be, and that in the US, Democrats in elected office from
competitive areas are shying away from the issue because the partisan
voters on their side aren't all that excited about it, and the
independents and GOP voters are hostile.

It isn't looking good for the IPCC vision. Here's one reason why, graphs
by John Christy of the University of Alabama at Huntsville:
http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/CMIP5-73-models-vs-obs-20N-20S-MT.png
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2013/06/epic-fail-73-climate-models-vs-observations-for-tropical-tropospheric-temperature/

Learned and pithy comments that seem appropriate to me are:

"One clean experiment is worth a thousand dirty equations", J.Arthur
Campbell, founding Dean of Faculty and founding chair of the chemistry
department at Harvey Mudd College,

and

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.",
Richard Feynman.

-Greg

PS I often don't follow links from services that provide information
about use of those links. Might you send your article, free of bitly
links, directly?