Topic: Why I think mathematics is really logic.
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 15, 2013 4:18 PM

Charlie-Boo

Re: Why I think mathematics is really logic.

#1 Don't try to define math in terms of math. Besides being circular
reasoning, you are simply taking a subset of math, isolating and
formalizing it. Define math in informal non-mathematical terms.

# 2. Know what level of abstraction you are at. Don't define science,
or communicating. Talking about strings of symbols being generated
above sounds like a model of communicating, the wrong level of
abstraction.

# 3. And this is especially for you Zuhair: State exactly the goal,
and then the approach before you are formal at all. Getting into
formalizing without a clear idea of how you are going to approach/
solve your problem/goal is like programmers who write software without
specifications (never mind technical design) or programming language
committees who require all proposals to be in the form of actual
constructs and syntax, rather than goals, approaches, and then
formalization. Or like talking about (YOU) formalizing a resolution
to the liar paradox without having a clear idea (or any idea) how you
intend to resolve it. You generate solutions after you build an
axiomatic system, not before.

C-B