Topic: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Replies: 67   Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 11:06 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times

Reminds me of an experience with my oldest
nephew, 6 or 7, while I was a senior in
college. We had a nice discussion one evening
about temperatures because we were in Iowa and
having "below zero" weather using a number line
comparison with a thermometer scale. As luck
would have it, my younger sister was preparing to
teach elementary school and observing Larry's
classroom. The teacher was quizzing them on
number facts and accidentally said "4 minus 9"
instead of "9 minus 4" and Larry chimed right in
with, "Negative 5" or possibly "Minus 5". I
can't remember if the flustered teacher
acknowledged correctness or not before saying
"Oh, I meant to say…" Such things, elementary
algebra included, are only hard if they are made hard.

Wayne

At 09:34 AM 6/17/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:

>On Jun 17, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Joe Niederberger
><niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > Everyone here should read it -
> >

> http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/the-faulty-logic-of-the-math-wars/?hp
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joe N
> >

>Thanks Joe.
>
>First off, many of us have pointed out that
>"traditional" math wasn't all about computation.
>
>I wish I had videotaped grades K through 3 with
>my son. It is hard to explain how much more
>effective our dialog became as he mastered
>arithmetic. I think even Lou, if he could see it
>with his own eyes, would be sold. The most
>recent example of what I am talking about is
>negative numbers. As I have said, I am teaching
>him algebra this summer and a key component of
>that is to give negative numbers their due. The
>kids are exposed to negative numbers briefly at
>the end of learning subtraction, but not with
>any of the inspection needed for algebra.
>Imagine trying to teach a student about negative
>arithmetic and its peculiarities if you can't
>use actual numbers that they can mentally add,
>subtract, multiply and divide. What would the
>mental result even be in that situation?
>
>Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
6/17/13
Read Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Domenico Rosa
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times > K-calculus
Clyde Greeno
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Dave L. Renfro
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Richard Strausz
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
W. Stephen Wilson
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/22/13
[...]
6/23/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/25/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/28/13